Menu

Spending money on nail salons!

We have very little debt --just a car loan. I have my nails done every 2 weeks and get haircuts every 4 weeks like clockwork. I might stay at home, but I like being well groomed. :D

my husband never wanted me to get my nails done, but he sure appreciates my feminine hands now. :001_smile: When we're out together and he grabs my hands, I love his smile as he's checking out my nails. :001_wub: I can not grow my own nails with ANYTHING other than acrylic overlays - they're that thin. I treat myself because I do so much for my family.

My hair has always looked nice. I moved from CA where everyone was usually made up well, and I always have my hair done and some make=up on when I go out. I grew up like this. People are shocked that I'm a farmer. Oh, and I wear jewelry, too. :tongue_smilie:

My husband had my wedding set made. I always felt my hands made it look ugly. Now all these years later I get my nails done. I only started in the past year. Now I think my rings look gorgeous.

Her husband works at a junkyard and she works at the GameStop. You know: the store in the mall where you buy video games? She hardly needs the nails for her job.

If you're not in debt, then I personally don't care at all whether or not you get your nails done. I think done nails are really pretty and if you can swing it, then go for it!

Please don't think I'm bashing getting nails done. I'm was only bashing paying for luxuries at the expense of being so deep in debt. She's told me in the past that their bills are more than they earn each month, so I was shocked on T-giving to hear that she's still getting nails done. I guess that's one of the "bills."

yes, it's probably one of the bills, but living like that is irresponsible and, in my opinion, STUPID.

Some people have a difficult time distinguishing between needs and wants. It is easy to see this problem in others but difficult to see it in ourselves. I can look at my MIL who doesn't pay her bills on time and is in massive credit card debt and wonder why she places a higher priority on getting her nails done every two weeks than on paying her electric bill.

I know for a fact that she thinks the books I buy are a huge waste of money. She thinks if a book is any good it will be made into a movie. She thinks I am silly for spending that money.

She has me beat though because last year her house was foreclosed on (what ever the correct term is) because she spent her last $900 on hair extensions!

Amber in SJ

I used to have one of those high-powered corporate jobs. I got promoted 4 times in 5 years, the last time over a colleague with 15 years' more experience.

I NEVER spent money on manicures for my job. I would occasionally get one done for a big social event like attending a wedding. Otherwise, I would just keep my nails clean & neat. Nobody blinked an eye at that. In fact, flashy nails colors and/or acrylics were considered tacky, something the 19 year old receptionist would do.

(running and ducking)

No ducking required. This is my experience as well. I had a pretty high-powered job in a high-powered industry...even the well-groomed executive women did not have nails "done". They always had good haircuts, wore expensive clothing, but nails weren't part of the "uniform". If they did have professional manicures, they certainly did not have fake nails, and the polish they chose was natural.

Where I live now, I see manis and pedis on "everyone" but me, and I would have to make a guess that they are NOT women working in professional offices...if they are working outside of the home at all. I treat myself to a pedicure about once a year, and I always promptly smudge my toes :glare:...but it's the spa treatments I go for really. Again, once a year, usually paid by gift certificate.

Ironically, where I live now, there is huge unemployment, the foreclosure rate is at least top 10 in the country, and I just saw where 47% of all mortgages are upside-down. I know of two people who have lost their homes, and STILL get manis/pedis and spend a ton on their hair. I don't get it.

They looked really pretty. They were a muted red with leaves painted on in white, with a little shiny diamond thing in the middle of the leaves.

I was just feeling sorry for her because she says she stays awake a night crying and worrying over her bills.

Using her natural nails. Red is easy to apply and they sell stick on nail decals that she could put on top of the red after it dries.

I don't like it when people on state/federal assistance use the money they get for their children to have their hair and nails done. Where I live people spend more on their hair and nails then they do on their children. They don't get like just french tips or something that allows you to still do things, they get long nails that are over an inch above their finger tips and doesn't allow them to do much of anything. I guess it gets to me because they have little babies that do not have car seats but they have these long nails and extensions.

I used to have one of those high-powered corporate jobs. I got promoted 4 times in 5 years, the last time over a colleague with 15 years' more experience.

I NEVER spent money on manicures for my job. I would occasionally get one done for a big social event like attending a wedding. Otherwise, I would just keep my nails clean & neat. Nobody blinked an eye at that. In fact, flashy nails colors and/or acrylics were considered tacky, something the 19 year old receptionist would do.

(running and ducking)

Will run and duck with you. This is such a wasted expense if you can't afford it. Since when do they need to be done by a professional to be a professional? That's such an excuse to not cut the expense. I agree, clean and neat or do it yourself. I'm always amazed at what people think they need.

When I had my other career, you know the pre-mom one, I used to get my nails done. Acrylics and fills. Every two weeks. $25 including generous tip (ok, this was OVER 11 years ago). Short, natural looking french manicure. I have short stubby (not very feminine looking hands with nails that only grow nicely when I'm pregnant). To me, at the time, it was well worth every penny. I liked having nice looking nails.

I had my hair done at one of the nicer salons in town. Wash, cut, style and blow-dry, $40 before tip. Again, this was 11 years ago.

Never had my eyebrows done. I've always done that myself. I can't see paying someone else to inflict pain upon me.

I've had one pedicure in my life. While it was nice, I don't care about getting one. I can do the same at home.

I no longer have a cell phone, and even when I did I used to complain about my $35 a month cell phone bill.

I'm a real girly girl and like having nice looking nails. I wish I had naturally nice looking nails, it would make me very happy. But I have very thin nails that break easily.

My husband would probably be more than willing to pay for me to still have my nails done. It was my decision, when we had the kids, to cut out frivolous expenses, and I considered this one of them.

Edited by Dawn in OH
brain fart