Menu

Wheat free pie crust

I use crushed up gf ginger cookies in place of a graham cracker crust. Pamela's is our favorite, but Mi-Del makes some too. Bob's Red Mill website has lots of recipes for gf items, though I've never tried to make a traditional gf crust and can't recommend one over another.

I'm going to use Bob's Red Mill GF flour mix and a regular recipe from Joy of Cooking. Pretty sure it will work fine.

Just a word of caution...If you're using the Bob's All Purpose Baking Flour, it contains bean flour which may clash with the taste of a sweeter pie. It may work with some pies, but the sweeter ones may taste off.

If you can get your hands on the Gluten Free Every Day Cookbook by Robert Landolphi, there is a gluten-free pie crust that has rice flour and tapioca flour that is supposed to be great.

*Wait* I think I found it!

Gluten-Free Flaky Pie Crust

Ingredients

* 1 1/4 cups white rice flour

* 1 cup tapioca flour

* 1 tablespoon sugar

* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

* 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 1/2 cup vegetable shortening

* 4 tablespoons cold butter

* 1/2 cup milk

Directions

1. In a medium bowl whisk together the white rice flour, tapioca flour, sugar, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt.

2. Add the shortening and butter to the flour mix.

3. Using your fingertips, a pastry blender, two dinner knives, rub or cut the shortening and butter into the dry ingredients until they are the texture of coarse meal with pea-sized pieces.

4. Gradually stir in the milk with a fork to moisten the dry ingredients.

5. On a board lightly floured with tapioca flour, form the dough into a ball, then a disk.

6. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.

7. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.

8. Butter a 9 inch pie plate and set aside.

9. Roll out the dough between two pieces of waxed paper into a 12 inch round.

10. Remove the waxed paper from the top of the round and invert the pie plate on top of the dough.

11. Place your other hand under the waxed paper and turn the round over so that the dough falls into the pan.

12. T

13. uck the dough into the pan and then peel off the waxed paper.

14. Let the overhang drape over the edge of the pie plate, while gently fitting the dough into the pan.

15. Using scissors trim the dough to a 1 inch overhang.

16. Fold the overhang under evenly.

17. Crimp the edges of the pie crust with your thumb and forefinger, or press it with the tines of a fork.

18. To make a partially baked crust: using the tines of a fork, evenly poke holes in the bottom and sides to prevent it from rising when prebaked, bake 8 minutes before adding the filling and finishing the baking.

19. To make a fully baked crust: using the tines of a fork, evenly poke holes in the bottom and sides of the crust to prevent it from rising when baked.

20. Bake until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes.

21. Let cool completely before filling.