Menu

Black bridesmaid's dresses????!!!!!

Having worn, in my younger years, the most ridiculous colors and contraptions for bridesmaids gowns and all of them costing an atrocious arm and leg, I think that a simple, elegant black gown is just the ticket. I've also seen dark navy blue done and it was stunning...all of the accents were lighter, flowers, etc. If I were a member of the bridal party, I would be happy.

If you've never seen the movie "21 Dresses" (or something like that, can't remember the exact title), watch it. The horror of those dresses....I can relate. I used to take off bridesmaid dresses and throw them in the garbage afterward because the fabric, cut, color, you name it was so hideous, I couldn't think of anything else to do with it and refused to send it to the Goodwill because I wouldn't wish it on another human being...heaven help us if someone having a tiny wedding with only one or two bridesmaids went in there and thought, "Hey, this will work!".

I think you will be pleased with the result. No matter what, the bride is likely to stand out from the pack.

Faith

I did alterations for a Bridal store back in the 80's, over 25 years ago. I have vivid memories of the first black bridesmaid dresses coming out in the Jordan catelog. It was a huge turning point in the industry. They were gorgeous even with all the ruffles and fabric roses on them!

I have a much harder time with all the strapless brides out there yanking on their dresses all day long trying to keep the "books" hidden. Yuck.

OK, help me on this one. My niece is getting married in January - an evening wedding - and she has chosen black for her bridesmaid's dresses. I know black is a formal color, but for the bridesmaid's dresses? I'm just a bit stunned. Tell me this is going to be ok and that it will look great and everyone will be amazed at how beautiful they all end up looking.:) She is a very classy young lady when it comes to fashion so it will probably surprise me and turn out ok; it's just that I've never heard of it before. I have heard that you should never wear black to a wedding, lol.

All will turn out well. It will be the event of the year. :)

When my childhood friend got married, she chose a to wear a black evening gown in lieu of the traditional white or ivory gown.

Kathleen, how did it turn out? Did it look nice? I did black and white as our colors when we got married. It was easy, simple, hard to mess up. My matron of honor (we each only had one person each stand with us), wore a black floor legth formal skirt with a black and white beaded top. It worked well. I know this thread is old, but black and white as colors at a wedding are easy to do. I had traditional daisys as my flowers, so yellow was our 'accent' I guess, but everything was black and white.

All will turn out well. It will be the event of the year. :)

When my childhood friend got married, she chose a to wear a black evening gown in lieu of the traditional white or ivory gown.

It did turn out well - everyone was lovely, way back then. The bride and her husband recently celebrated their first child's first birthday (Nov. 4), their second anniversary is approaching and she's expecting her second baby in May.:)

Wow, this is a very old thread!:D