Menu

Looking into next year....Formal Literature Analysis

Pongo

I think I am going to add a formal Literature Analysis next year.

My choices I can think of are:

Mosdos Literature-Jade

Lightining Literature 7

Skills for Literary Analysis, with DVD By: James P. Stobaugh

Prentice Hall Literature

Classic Middle School Literature I am using this for 6th, I want a little more depth.

The Language of Literature

Any pros /cons on these?

Edited by Pongo

I only have experience with LL.

Hi Sue,

In your post you said:

Pros:

• Gentle introduction to literature and literary analysis

• Pick up and go (minimal teacher preparation)

• Well organized (ie. they give you a reasonable weekly schedule to use)

• Written to the student so it can be done independently

• Nice variety of books and genres (biography, poetry, novel, short story, etc)

• Uses whole books readily available at the library

• Not too much work – we are able to use a separate grammar and writing program and read other literature without stress

• Secular

Cons:

• None

A couple of questions:

How many books, and is it a one year course?

Are there any corresponding work pages?

Any writing assignments, say a Fiction/Non-Fiction Critique?

I know the Critiques may fall more under a writing program but I was hoping to find a bit of intermingling of the two.

TIA

I came back to answer some of my own questions in case anyone else is following this thread.

8 books in LL 7

Is designed for a one year course, but is seems as if the workload is not very heavy so it could be condensed.

As far as work pages Lori D wrote:

2. Work pages

- 8-10 worksheets per unit to help student practice the literary element, occasional grammar aspect (punctuation, capitalization, etc.), or beginning analysis of an excerpt from literature.

- Sometimes a short story or a segment of a longer work is reproduced for the student to read/analyze.

and Lori D also commented about writing:

a 2-3 page "mini-writing lesson" with information/tips on various aspects of writing (examples: how to cite sources; how to take notes; etc.)

- choice from 4-8 longer writing assignment ideas for finishing up each unit

And....it seems that LL7 and LL8 are American Literature sets, something to consider if I want to melt them into our History studies and LOTR is better used for Ancient studies.

Edited by Pongo
answer some questions..lol

Lori once wrote a post that said that people consider it light if they've done literature analysis before and a nice introduction if they haven't done literature analysis before.

One advantage to LL's "lightness" is that it does not so thoroughly wear out a book the child does not want to pick it up ever again. I have watched my dd in her high school courses where they post-it note and analyze everything, and I mean everything, the work offers. I doubt my dd will revisit any of those works.

As another pp pointed out, the pacing allows you to add other things into your literary analysis mix. For ancient history this year, we are covering mythology as well as using some of the work in LL7 & 8. I have yet to hear one of my kids complain about using LL.