Menu

Booklight recommendations?

I am looking for a book light recommendation for a gift for my dh. He has low vision so most places in the house with regular lighting don't have enough light for him to read by. Brighter is better -- for example, he won't be using it while I'm asleep or something. Something sturdy, that will light both pages without fiddling with it, good battery life (maybe even with an ac adapter). I read some reviews of the Itty Bitty Booklight which looks good, is it as good as it sounds? Thanks for any ideas or tips!

I have heard good things about the light wedge, but have not used it myself. Book lights tend to annoy me with either lighting only a small portion of the book requiring fiddling or being awkwardly attached to the book requiring fiddling.

I ended up buying a high-end LED headlamp from R.E.I. and love it! I look like a dork with a headlamp in bed, but dh is asleep and never notices. It is bright, lights where ever I look, and is also useful when camping.:D

We go through book lights like other families go through toilet paper. I don't pay attention to brands, but I've found it's important to get book lights that use regular batteries. The ones that use the little round batteries always run out faster, and really--where do you even buy reasonably priced replacement batteries?

Second most important thing for us is not really about the booklight, but it's still essential. At our house, if you lose your book light, you have to PAY for your next one. Certain people were losing theirs on a regular basis, and this rule has made them much more careful. YMMV. :001_smile:

If you want bright, I don't think you can beat the Mighty Bright. The light is indeed mighty bright :tongue_smilie: due to its two super LED's. The kids went through I don't know how many reading lights in the car before we settled on these: They're sturdy, take regular batteries, and the LED's won't burn out. Perfect. The kids have had theirs over two years and they're still going strong.

We have Lightwedges for use at home. I love mine for in-bed reading, but the light isn't consistent across the page and is not nearly so bright as the Mighty Bright.

but I've found it's important to get book lights that use regular batteries. The ones that use the little round batteries always run out faster, and really--where do you even buy reasonably priced replacement batteries?
Yes!! I have found it difficult to impossible to find the right size button batteries, now I only use lights that take AAs or AAAs, or small lamps that plug in.

Thanks all! I have to head out to see what I can find today and I hadn't considered the Mighty Bright. I think for myself I would love the light wedge but dh really needs the strong light. I like the packaging of the Itty Bitty Booklight but this is cheaper, maybe I can throw in the hardback book he has been wanting.

Any more thoughts are always welcome!