Menu

Thanks to those who recommended North and South

I'm impressed you could stop after the first episode.

DH is gone from Monday to Friday; if I'm not careful I stay up and watch videos/play on the computer until the small hours, then I'm a bear the next day. So I stop watching TV at 10.30 and go and read in the bath for an hour before bed.

Laura

It's great isn't it?! I got it for Christmas. I wonder if the book is any good?

Wendy

The book is very good. I really enjoyed it. But actually, I enjoyed her other novel Wives and Daughters much more. Haven't seen either movie - I'm on the library waiting list :D

DH is gone from Monday to Friday; if I'm not careful I stay up and watch videos/play on the computer until the small hours, then I'm a bear the next day. So I stop watching TV at 10.30 and go and read in the bath for an hour before bed.

Laura

I don't have that much self control.;) I am a night person so it just feels natural to stay up late and start school mid morning.:p

The book is very good. I really enjoyed it. But actually, I enjoyed her other novel Wives and Daughters much more. Haven't seen either movie - I'm on the library waiting list :D

Wives and Daughters.....that book just about put me out emotionally. The version I had did such an abrupt ending that I did not feel I had emotional closure. It wasn't until I watched the film that I felt it was "complete". I still enjoyed the book but I felt like someone closed the book at the last chapter and then gave the ending in a sentence or two.

Did the version you read have an actual ending written or was it like mine where it just says the author passed away and this is how it would probably end?

Wives and Daughters.....that book just about put me out emotionally. The version I had did such an abrupt ending that I did not feel I had emotional closure. It wasn't until I watched the film that I felt it was "complete". I still enjoyed the book but I felt like someone closed the book at the last chapter and then gave the ending in a sentence or two.

Did the version you read have an actual ending written or was it like mine where it just says the author passed away and this is how it would probably end?

My copy did end abruptly but then there was another 20 pages written by an editor to discuss what he felt the ending would have been. I think that probably helped to "wrap it up" for me. But I knew ahead of time that the author died before finishing the book, so I was prepared for that.

Did you know before you read it that the author hadn't finished it? If I hadn't have known before I probably would have felt much the same. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

For those who love Elizabeth Gaskell's books (N&S and Wives & Daughters), a new adaptation of "Cranford" will be broadcast on PBS' Masterpiece Theater this (& next 2 Sunday) nights. May 4, 11, 18th.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/

It's about spinsters in a quaint small town, but has lots of familiar British actors in it. Judi Dench and others.

I'm looking forward to it!

I buy very few DVDs, but this was a "must own" as far as I'm concerned. I've watched it several times and loaned it, as well, so it's been well worth the price paid. I like the book very much, too, which I first read way back in college, but as Kate said, the two differ in some respects. And I'd go so far as to say I prefer the movie, which is a real testament. Enjoy!

For those who love Elizabeth Gaskell's books (N&S and Wives & Daughters), a new adaptation of "Cranford" will be broadcast on PBS' Masterpiece Theater this (& next 2 Sunday) nights. May 4, 11, 18th.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/

It's about spinsters in a quaint small town, but has lots of familiar British actors in it. Judi Dench and others.

I'm looking forward to it!

Oooh! Thanks for telling us! I will be making a note of this - thanks so much!

I'm impressed you could stop after the first episode. :D

And it was impossible for me to turn it off and go to bed. SOooo good. Sadly, I wasn't ready for it to be over at the end of the disks. I spent half an hour looking for "the rest of it"!

Ahhh, such a fantastic movie. *happy sigh* I'm glad you're enjoying it, and that you have the self-control to watch one episode at a time. :D

Dy