Menu

Would you let dd do this instead of school?

happyWImom

We do a lot of ETC, and dd is pretty creative. Anyway, she started working on an "activity book" for ds last night. It's similar to ETC workbooks. She's got the regular pages, then has thrown in some stories, coloring pages, and poems. She was really excited to finish it today, so that's what she's been doing all morning. We have plans this afternoon and tomorrow morning, and Friday is Coop day, so our school for the rest of the week is minimal. Should I let her continue with the book, and forget our normal school? I would probably lean towards yes, because it is school. Dh has been weird lately about what we're working on, what are they doing, etc... I think he has pms :D.

To prove mastery with Math U See, the child is supposed to be able to teach the concept back to you.

With that reasoning, the book she is making not only lets her use her gift of creativity, but allows you to determine her level of mastery with the items included in the book since she is 'teaching' her brother. If you need to 'justify' it somehow, I think you can honestly say that you are allowing her to do this in place of her regular work (at least partly) for assessment purposes. HTH.

Not only that, but allowing her to do this will foster her love for learnng AND teaching, while instilling confidence and a servant's heart along the way.

Edited by jetzmama

Is she coming up with the activities herself, or is she copying them from ETC and other sources? The more she searches out ideas for the activity book herself, the more she'll learn, as opposed to just copying (either with a copier or by hand).

I informally tutored a friend in high school Chemistry, and fellow classmates in college Algebra classes, and I learned so much more that way than I would have if I had just done my homework assignments and stopped there.

Yes. She is showing a LOVE of learning and you want to encourage that!

A few weeks ago my 12 yo started reseraching crystal skulls. Yes, it was because of Indiana Jones, but I was so impressed with the research skills he learned! Plus, he was reading, reading , reading. Then he decided to write a book! A few days he was typing, typing, typing. He has lost interest now and we are back to regular school.

Another son has been reading classic literature. All on his own. He is 14 and "thinks" he is getting away without doing his regular lessons. Eventually, he'll tire of reading so much and we'll get back to regular lessons. I am making him continue in math and reading history and science.