Menu

Doctor Who - the new one. Any reviews?

Well, my husband and I are fans of the new "Dr. Who." :)

It's great, campy fun and I can't think of anything objectionable. There's absolutely no sexual content whatsoever or any profanity that I can remember. (There *might* be a "d----" I guess but if there ever was I can't remember it. Nothing else.)

The Doctor, a "time-lord" (time-traveling alien species in human form) travels from one era to another, and there is sometimes gross stuff (the flatulent Jabba-the-Hut-type aliens were probably my least favorite, but a teenage boy would love that :)), but generally it's just the Doctor saving humanity from one alien threat or another with the aid of his companion, a pretty girl who's usually sweet on him in an innocent "isn't he wonderful" kind of way but nothing sexual.

I wouldn't be a bit concerned.

Edited by MamaBlessedThrice
typo

Love Dr. Who, old and new. Don't have cable or Netflix, so I've only seen a few of the new ones that PBS has deigned to broadcast. The new one has better special effects (not that that would be hard, considering how pasted together the ones on the old show were) - like the Daleks can now levitate (finally we find out how aliens who can't climb stairs can conquer worlds).

But if you're watching with kids, be careful of the new spin-off, Torchwood. All that stuff the PP mentioned that's not in Dr. Who is in there. :tongue_smilie: I still like it, but not for kids.

There's also a new series I haven't seen called the Sarah Jane Chronicles which is even more aimed at kids (Sarah Jane was one of the Dr's companions back in the Tom Baker days).

Love Dr. Who, old and new. Don't have cable or Netflix, so I've only seen a few of the new ones that PBS has deigned to broadcast. The new one has better special effects (not that that would be hard, considering how pasted together the ones on the old show were) - like the Daleks can now levitate (finally we find out how aliens who can't climb stairs can conquer worlds).

But if you're watching with kids, be careful of the new spin-off, Torchwood. All that stuff the PP mentioned that's not in Dr. Who is in there. :tongue_smilie: I still like it, but not for kids.

There's also a new series I haven't seen called the Sarah Jane Chronicles which is even more aimed at kids (Sarah Jane was one of the Dr's companions back in the Tom Baker days).

:iagree:Especially about Torchwood. It's definitely geared for adults and we do not let dd watch it (which bugs her cause she adored the lead character when he was on DW). The Sarah Jane Adventures are even campier than DW as it's geared for younger audiences. Dr. Who itself is very family friendly. We love it.

Huge Dr. Who fans here. I love David Tennant. He has been my favorite "Dr" so far.

My kids have watched Dr. Who with us for years. They love it too.

Does anyone know when the new episodes for this season are scheduled to start? We've been watching for it on Sci-Fi and BBC America but haven't seen any of the new ones for this season yet.

:iagree:Especially about Torchwood.
:iagree:Cpt Jack would have Tea with anyone, of any species.

Sarah Jane is fantastic for younger viewers. The latest eppisode, The Waters of Mars, had amazing special effects & DD (9) found it just a bit too scary. She says she doesn't want to watch the next one!:scared:

The Waters of Mars of Doctor Who episode that just aired in the UK will be shown on BBC America on December 19th, I believe. I don't know when the final David Tennant episode will air here or when the episodes with new Doctor is supposed to start on this side of the pond.

My 14yo and I are big fans of the series, and have a small collection of Doctor Who toys on display in our family room. It really is just silly (wibbly wobbly, timey wimey) fun, with some of the episodes being a bit dark and scary but really great stories.