Menu

Anyone besides me dislike Classical Conversations?

monalisa

Terabith, your dc's age could be a factor, and I wonder if your tutor could be a bit more effective for the age group (??). We're new to CC this year with a 6th grader and don't have any of the issues you mentioned. (We're doing geography at home with the current countries, and he already knew the Latin.) He memorized the cubes in just a few minutes, and the memory work is easy for him to handle at his age. Our tutor doesn't have a lot of time for explaining, of course, but she does try to add context where she can. She's never just told the kid that they don't need to understand, just memorize it!

I'm currently trying to decide whether or not to put my younger dd in CC next year, so your post is helpful!

Profmom, I'll admit that taking on all of the Middle Ages was a bit more of a bite to chew than I had bargained for! :-) This time we will do a lap book on WWI with mini books on the following things: Countries, Causes, Warfare and Weapons (my son's favorite part!), Major Battles, and Results. We will use the same foci for the WWII lapbook. I'll probably have him include a map as before.

I am not sure why this thread came up again, but I have to edit my thoughts on this, because this was written last year--which WAS up to that point our best year yet. I have "come full circle" and now I am a CC regular. Do i LOVE it? No. I'm not one of these people who thinks CC is the greatest thing EVER and I'll always do it. I do, however, LOVE my community, the friends we have made there, the accountability it gives me as a parent to stay on track. I missed that terribly, and by the end of the school year I really wanted to go back.

I do believe CC is a very effective tool, especially for people who are extrinsically motivated, like my son and myself. He works more effectively having the outside goals such as weekly meeting with his class and memory master. I also believe that your tutor and director and the facility have a lot to do with the experience. Classroom management is really important, as is the management of expectations from the director's level between parents, tutors, and facility people. We have AMAZING tutors and a fantastic director. Our experience has been much improved this year by moving to a more spacious, open facility with more windows (I know that may sound weird but it really affects me.)

For the first graders, I don't know that I would put my child in at K-1 again and unless they had an older sibling in the program. I will say this in retrospect--My ds went through cycle 2 in the 1st grade and now again in the 4th grade. I don't know how much info he actually retained (aside from many of the history songs) but there seems to have already been a groove cut for learning what he needs to learn this year, and it's been pretty easy to do. We have also developed the information at home, and I can say without reservation that using CC as our spine and building from there it has been our best year ever. We have implemented lapbooks to develop the material, and our need to "sit and soak up" material has been well-served by that, plus my son and daughter are simply more mature and able to sit for longer.

So, to whomever resurrected this post, CC is not for everybody, but it can be a very effective tool in the right hands and, used correctly, yield wonderful results. Visit my blog and read "Coming full Circle with Classical Conversations." There are two parts. I have linked to part 1.

:iagree: , even about the windows! We are in the basement of a church in Sunday school rooms I chose the very last room on the hall with big open windows. If I didn't have this, it would have made a miserable year for me frankly becaus elast year we were in two rooms with now indows It affects me.

I could have written your whole post actually. :tongue_smilie:

I seriously considered CC and I like many of the concepts/ideas but the thing that really put me off was when my friend who is in it (and loves it) said that one of the big advantages was how they "hold each other accountable". My kids are doing extremely well with what we're doing and I don't need any assistance or motivation in that area. I really didn't want to have to answer to someone else for the decisions I make in my kids' interests; that's one of the biggest advantages of homeschooling to me!

In the two years we have participated, I have never felt the need to answer to someone for decisions regarding my kiddo. But I do agree it isn;t for everyone.

CC has been different thing for me at different times. Right now, it provides friendships for my daughter and me. We do not use it as our spine... yet. We are fairly relaxed and what she learns is gravy. We don't review much at home, just basic listening in the car to songs. We explore some topics further if they spark her interest (Monet, Medieval times, volcanoes, etc.). Mainly we explore living books on topics dicussed.

I think many dislikes or complaints seems classroom or community specific and may be remedied with frank and open discussions with the director. I had some issues with the initial class my DD was in at first last year. She is a lovely woman, but not right for the most youngest age group. Mid-year we moved to a different tutor and things were much happier for us. The tutor opted not to tutor this year.

My daughter does fine with it; there's no real pressure at this age to do Memory Master or anything. She likes it and can sing the songs and such. It's just that I am bugged by the schizophrenic, frantic pace of it. I don't think it's really designed for young kids, and I think it would be a more effective program if it had a bit more age differentiation.

That said, she loves it, mostly because of the social piece.

My daughter does fine with it; there's no real pressure at this age to do Memory Master or anything.

At what age IS there an expectation that most kids will make Memory Master? What is the youngest that you see maybe half or more of the kids in a class going for it? (Just to give me a clue as to when it becomes more serious!) Thanks!

At what age IS there an expectation that most kids will make Memory Master? What is the youngest that you see maybe half or more of the kids in a class going for it? (Just to give me a clue as to when it becomes more serious!) Thanks!

My friend's two daughters both did it last year (2nd grade and 4th grade). I think average would be 3rd-4th. It is something that I expect my ds9 to work for--it is well within his reach, and he is enjoying the process and the challenge that it presents. He will really have achieved something if / when he makes it, and even if he doesn't, there is a great deal to be gained in the attempt. Either way it is a stout goal to aim for, and I for one will be very pleased, regardless of the outcome, because I know how hard he has been working to learn the material.

This is my kids' second year in Foundations. They were 4K & K last year, K & 1st this year. They could definitely be "subject masters" for there are some subjects that click easily (like history sentences and English grammar) but others like the timeline have been a real challenge for them. It'll take years before they're ready for the timeline! Each kid is different, but few first year students (except for oldest students who have had exposure to some of these things in a different setting) make Memory Master. There is NO pressure to become a Memory Master until at least 3rd grade and even then it's a totally optional thing. Most 3rd & 4th graders who go for it have been doing it for years and/or are really motivated by the rest of the class. The students have to be self-motivated and determined, which varies widely from kid to kid.

I am so glad I read this! I probably would have felt obligated to at least have them try this upcoming year (kindergarten), but it sounds like it really just should be more of an exposure experience this go-round.

HOLY COW...no way would i have my 5yo K/1 trying for MM! I'm glad you read this too! :tongue_smilie: I'll be your kids are too! :001_smile:

What can YOU do to fix the situation without offending? If the disruptive kids' moms aren't in there, you need to be stepping in. "Uh oh, Johnny, Mrs. Smith said to sit down, you need to do it."

If the youngers are an issue, "He seems restless. Want me to take him out and walk him around for a few minutes?" As long as you don't sound accusing, they will either take you up on it or get the hint and take them out themselves.

This situation was 1.5 years ago now (my post date -- November 2009), but I just want to say that I did all this and a lot more, to the extent that I practically should have been getting some of the tutoring discount. There were weeks that I was the only other mom in the room for much of the time, and 3 of the 8 kids were out of control. Many times those kids would not respond to redirection AT ALL. Also, there was one mom with a little sibling "lap child" that never took any hints; she would sit in the back and read books to her 2 yo. and let him play noisily with toys in the room (Sunday school classrooms equipped with preschool toys). I talked to the director and tutor on several occasions about how to help the overall campus discipline problem, and not just our classroom. There was no written discipline policy, and no nursery for this campus at the time (both are in place now). When you are paying over $400 tuition for a program, it is not right for some parents and kids to make it a chaotic experience for the others. CC is NOT a co-op, and even though the moms are supposed to be helping, it is also not right to expect the other (non-tutor) moms to keep disruptive kids who aren't their own under control (even if those kids are tutor's kids). After talking to people at other campuses (and visiting other campuses), I've learned this is very much campus and director specific,and not a symptom of all CC campuses, to be clear. Later in the year we ended up with a different tutor (because of a shift in campus enrollment) who had much more classroom control (and more parental participation), which greatly improved our CC experience.

Edited by monalisa

I am sorry to hear that the class is disorderly, that does need to be addressed. I have a 7 year old (2nd year in CC) , 4 year old(1st year in CC) enrolled in CC. Even though the material seems really tough for both ages I see alot of results. Kids can definetly memorize a lot more than we give them credit for. My 7 year old can memorize a lot (even when I can't). The big thing I see is even if he doesn't memorize each weeks subject, when I read Story of the World and come across a name or location both my kids will say that is the same as one of my timeline cards. So I believe those memory pegs are being laid. Even though they may not remember everything those memory pegs are important. Not to mention it is training their brain to retain information.

If the group is that bad you could always just do the memory work on your own. I travel alot so even though we don;t always attend class we still keep up.

• 6 months later...
Guest jamesandava

To Jan in SC. I am so sorry that you had that experiance. Being told that your needs were less valid than anyone elses is not the Christian way. We are to put others ahead of our selves. Not being there I don't know the other families situations but I can offer encouragment to you to rest in God's grace. As Humans we are of course are sinful by nature, but He is not. From what I have seen CC's philosophy is to lead with grace. There are alot of homeschool groups out there, including other cc groups, I hope you find one that works for you and your family.