Menu

First grader-copywork/spelling/invented spelling questions

HappyGrace

Now with my second 1st grader, I can't remember what I did with older dd at that age! I know she used some invented spelling while she was learning, plus we did a little copywork, but then once she was reading very well, she was such a visual and natural speller (remembered it from her reading) that we didn't do a lot of spelling. She was advanced and was doing all this at late age 5; he is late age 6.

Now my little guy is first grade, reading at about a second grade level-we used Teach Your Child to Read in 100 EZ Lessons, and now he reads a book or two a day to me (Syd Hoff type) plus three pgs out of The Beginner's Bible. We just started WWE1, which is very easy for him. He does some other copywork and can write quite well (handwriting.) We are also doing Happy Phonics, which went great with dd. (Then she did MCP Plaid Phonics B, and that was about it for phonics!)

I'm hung up on where to go next with phonics/spelling! He is doing some "invented" spelling when he draws pictures and labels them. I'm assuming that's ok because I remember dd going through that phase. He spells it right if it's phonetically correct, and is starting to remember to spell other things right like "er" and "or" in words, also "ed" He seems more interested in spelling things "right" and asks me how to spell things more as he writes them, and she didn't really do that-just did invented spelling til she picked up correct spelling from her reading (and other things we were doing.)

I'm not sure I want to use a spelling program, because I hate how most of them are "word families"-all, ball, walk or ate, wait, eight-those confused me and also dd like crazy, and he is visual too so I think that will confuse him. I'm thinking of going with a modifed SWR approach (which we did a little with dd, but didn't love it). I owned AAS 1 and 2 and looked them over and didn't like them. He doesn't like ETC.

I'm thinking maybe MCP Plaid Phonics and Spelling Workout? Also, am I ok with letting him go with the invented spelling for his free-writing that he does? What is the usual progression? (I'm not hung up on having to do things totally the WTM way.)

Edited by HappyGrace

Also, am I ok with letting him go with the invented spelling for his free-writing that he does?

I let my dd use invented spelling when she is working on her own things, but I require correct spelling for school things. One place where I definitely part ways with Charlotte Mason is the idea that you should never let a child spell something wrong. How could that be possible? Just never allow my child to write stories for fun or label or for-fun drawings? Personally, I think that invented spelling does, to some degree, help kids learn phonics because they are using phonics to figure out how our language works even if they don't get it right all the time.

Tara

I'm having some of the same issues with my son. We are just finishing MCP phonics B. It's ok, but if your son doesn't have a good grasp of phonics, it will require a lot of input from you to teach it. I'm frankly not thrilled with it, but maybe because I don't have any TM and thought that it was more independent than it actually was. We are finished with it in a couple weeks then just going to spend some time each week picking out lessons from OPGTR (although he won't know it because I won't use the book since his little brother uses it and he's going to gripe about that! :tongue_smilie:) just to make sure there aren't gaps. Then probably do spelling workout, and continuing with FLL and starting WWE.

I also allow my son to spell things how he wants to when he's doing fun stuff. He often writes stories or letters to a friend or cousin. If he's doing it for school, I have him check spelling, and require correctness. But for fun, I'll only bring it up if it seems it won't frustrate him. I also always remind him if he wants help with spelling something, he can ask.

I'm thinking maybe MCP Plaid Phonics and Spelling Workout? Also, am I ok with letting him go with the invented spelling for his free-writing that he does? What is the usual progression? (I'm not hung up on having to do things totally the WTM way.)

The only benefit I found to Spelling Workout was that it gave my ds extra writing practice because he was behind in his fine motor skills. He had a better attitude if he did his writing in different books. I have yet to find a spelling program I like for my younger two. My eldest is a natural speller, so Spelling Power was perfect for her.

I have Spelling Power too, and it does "word families" :glare:

I even thought of doing OPGTR, but she starts in with the word families too!

I suppose I'll have to make up my own program using a mishmosh of what I like......again. It's so rare to find curriculum that really works for us!

You could try the Blend Phonics reader w/ my spelling rules and then Webster's Speller.

Files linked at the bottom of my how to tutor page, use it for spelling instead of reading, spell several words from each unit and teach the rules. (They don't have to be memorized.)

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html

The syllable division rules and exercises are just for reading but are nice.

You could also try this, working across the page and covering the bottom lines:

http://books.google.com/books?id=IFIXAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=spelling%2Bbooks&lr=&as_brr=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false

There are links to a bunch more good spelling books on Don Potter's spelling page if none of those will work for you.

Edited by ElizabethB

We use Spelling Workout for our 1st grader (from how you describe your son's abilities, sounds like your might need to start with the second book in the series.)

My high school junior reads voraciously for "assignments." She has one special notebook in which to write down new of unfamiliar words in the book. Then she has to define, categorize, and of course spell them.

She took a placement test when she was 11 to apply to a private school and scored post college in all areas. She was bored at the school and asked to come back home and now I wish I had never enrolled her in private school because I am having to work really hard to get us back where she was 4 years ago regarding work ethic and not procrastinating with her assignments.

We really like Excellence in Spelling (The Phonetic Zoo) - the philosophy behind their teaching style is to train the brain to think how to spell rather then to picture it... hence, as one goes onto higher learning he/she will refer to their audio lessons, remembering jingles and other methods to help them spell. I love it (since it gives me a break) all lessons have a flashcard to teach/study from and test are given via audio until mastered two consecutive times. As far as teh boys (9/11) go; they are motivated to pick up the remote and take their daily spelling test every time I ask!! We are a little behind since this is our first year teaching from home, with that being said these lessons should work for advanced 2nd or 3rd graders.

So, it is a win/win for us! I believe you can go to excellenceinspelling.com and watch a media player clip on the program.