Menu

Opinions on CLE math needed

DaisyMay

Two of my dc are currently doing BJU math 5 (with the dvds), but it's not going very well. The teacher on the dvd isn't very good, and I'm lousy at math myself so I'm not much help. They don't seem to be remembering much. I've started teaching one of my kids from the TM to help him understand it better, but I don't think it's helping.

I really hate to switch math programs, but I'm thinking the review of CLE would really help. It looks like a good program, but was hoping to hear some opinions on it. Is it worth it to switch?

Thanks in advance!

Gayle

Hi Gayle, I would encourage you to do a search here on the forum for CLE math as there have been lots of discussions about it.

We are using the 300 level after switching from SIngapore and we really love it. I don't really teach much, but part of that is that I am encouraging my dd to get more independent since the other things we do are more mommy intensive. She usually only comes to me when she doesn't understand the instructions. So far (we're in LU 303) it's going great. We aren't yet to any concepts that I am not able to teach, but I think I will be fine. I do have the TM.

I would advise that you do download and give the placement test and trust where it puts you. That way you won't wind up with gaps. I think you'd really like it. You can always place your kids, but then only buy one LU to try it out.

We are doing 300 and 100 level CLE math. My older son has done CLE all the way through, from 100 up to 300 (we're in 306 now).

I LOVE it. I used to be a math teacher--and I am very impressed with the way it introduces a tiny part of a concept, then builds on it over the course of the year (and beyond). Even having been a math teacher--I've rarely done any additional teaching besides reading aloud what is in the STUDENT book. I use my TM for checking answers--I hardly ever have to read their "teaching helps". And my son does a lot of the work independently.

I guess my only concern for you would be coming into a spiral program so high--definitely take the placement test. On the CLE yahoo group I'm in, I've seen a LOT of ppl coming from BJU and Abeka (I think) Grade 5 going into CLE Grade 3 or 4---

I do feel that CLE will prepare my boys MUCh better for higher level math than most of the children I used to teach were prepared--ugh. I had so many 7th graders who couldn't carry or borrow, and just didn't GET numbers.

ETA--my boys love math too--CLE hasn't killed their love of numbers, and they always enjoy doing their CLE book--weird, huh?

Betsy

Hi Gayle, I would encourage you to do a search here on the forum for CLE math as there have been lots of discussions about it.

We are using the 300 level after switching from SIngapore and we really love it. I don't really teach much, but part of that is that I am encouraging my dd to get more independent since the other things we do are more mommy intensive. She usually only comes to me when she doesn't understand the instructions. So far (we're in LU 303) it's going great. We aren't yet to any concepts that I am not able to teach, but I think I will be fine. I do have the TM.

I would advise that you do download and give the placement test and trust where it puts you. That way you won't wind up with gaps. I think you'd really like it. You can always place your kids, but then only buy one LU to try it out.

:iagree:

We're in a nearly identical place... encouraging ds's independence and really loving CLE! Definitely do the free placement testing.

Thanks for these encouraging responses. I have heard so many good things about CLE, it's just frightening to think of switching math since they all introduce topics differently.

My older son really tries to take shortcuts in his work, but this might be the thing to keep him on track. I only worry that he would skip reading the instructions :-)

Any other opinions out there, good or bad?

Thanks!

Gayle

We switched from BJU to CLE this year and it's been the very best decision I have made in a long time. BJU did the trick, but CLE is making it all stick...plus giving my son the math confidence he has been lacking.

My son is in 7th, and when I gave him the CLE placement test he was borderline between CLE 600 and 700. I decided to go with the 600 (I already owned it) and have gone through the books and assigned the lessons I feel he is lacking confidence or knowledge in. We will be starting the 700 books soon and will then complete a lesson a day with no skipping.

Quite honestly I loved BJU's math. We also had used the DVDs. I had absolutely no intention of switching until this year when I no longer had the DVD teacher and found that I am NOT a math teacher. I tried to teach the new BJU Math 7 program and just couldn't do it properly. I was floundering. So enters CLE. CLE is very independent. Very rarely does my son need clarification or help, and he's doing very well with it (hmm...way to many "vary's"...Mr. Pudewa would be appalled :w00t:). It's more advanced than BJU only in it's scope and sequence. I wouldn't say it is better than BJU at all, only different. For a child that does well with mastery, and doesn't need a lot of spiral repetition, then BJU is fab. I thought my ds was one of those children. I was apparently wrong. He is loving the spiral review of CLE, and is finally feeling like he's good at math.

I truly don't think you can go wrong with either BJU or CLE. But one may work well for a student, and the other not-so-well. It really depends on the child. ;)

Definitely try the CLE placement test. Also, if you go with CLE I would personally recommend you get the math charts that they sell. It will help your student greatly with the "mastery drills" within the math books. I allowed my son to find the answers to the drills on the charts. After time though, he memorized the drill answers and now rarely needs the charts for that. Also, with CLE you don't have to purchase the whole year at one time. You can purchase a book or two and see how it 'fits' your student. I did that with the English. We just completed BJU's 7th grade English and I felt my ds wasn't strong in it, it moved waaaaaay to quickly for my peace of mind. So, I purchased some CLE LA Light units and he's been doing those. It's a great fit so far!! I love that it includes spelling too.

I've been using CLE for about 3+ years now and have been through Math 200-600, and it's been a good choice for us.

GOOD POINTS:

• Fosters some level of independent learning
  • Clear explanations
  • Portable (easy to throw a LightUnit in a bag and go)
  • Lots of review
  • Very thorough

THINGS TO CONSIDER:

• You must keep up with grading/checking their work. It's easy for a child to slack off and skip hard problems.
  • The amount of review can drive a quick learner batty.
  • Currently they haven't completed Algebra I in their Sunrise format which is far superior to their previous editions, and they probably won't go past Algebra II if they go that far. I've looked at the current Algebra I and don't like that format at all, so we switched to a combination of LOF/MUS after Math 600.

So, are you using MUS pre-alg after CLE 600? Was there a reason you didn't go on with CLE 700?

Just curious. :001_smile:

Yes, my oldest is whizzing through MUS pre-alg right now and will probably finish it in March or so (started in September). Then I'm going to have him do the new LOF pre-alg book with the goal of starting LOF algebra next September followed by MUS algebra. He'll be in 8th then.

CLE was good for him (he did 400-600 after RightStart B-part of E), but it was at the point where all the review was truly driving him bonkers. He was begging for something different and did LOF Fractions and Decimals over the summer and loved those. I also felt that he only needed one year of pre-algebra versus the two that CLE does. Some people use only CLE 700 as pre-algebra, but we were going to have to change at some point and I figured that it was time after 600.

Quite honestly I loved BJU's math. We also had used the DVDs. I had absolutely no intention of switching until this year when I no longer had the DVD teacher and found that I am NOT a math teacher. I tried to teach the new BJU Math 7 program and just couldn't do it properly. I was floundering. So enters CLE. CLE is very independent. Very rarely does my son need clarification or help, and he's doing very well with it (hmm...way to many "vary's"...Mr. Pudewa would be appalled :w00t:). It's more advanced than BJU only in it's scope and sequence. I wouldn't say it is better than BJU at all, only different. For a child that does well with mastery, and doesn't need a lot of spiral repetition, then BJU is fab. I thought my ds was one of those children. I was apparently wrong. He is loving the spiral review of CLE, and is finally feeling like he's good at math. QUOTE]

I think that's what is making this decision so difficult... that BJU math is really good. I really love it and it's so solid. I keep thinking that if we just keep plodding along it will click, but that's not happening. It's not easy to leave such a good program, but something has to change :tongue_smilie:.

Thanks so much for the input! It's really helping me to think this through. Anyone not think CLE is a good choice?

Thanks!

Gayle