Menu

My son is amazing...

I've been sick for 2 days now. He took care of everything yesterday, from entertaining to feeding babies. This morning, when I got up, he was standing over the oven making eggs, & coffee was already brewed.

(Since it's a stomach thing, I really wish I would have told him yesterday that the coffee was a no-go. He ground beans ils brought back from Italy. :001_huh: But he did a good job of it.)

Earlier this week, he had made oatmeal when I got up. He said he wanted to have a good day, & Daddy always tells him to *decide* to have one, not just hope for it, & he knew that breakfast would help us have a good day.

We've been having a lot of trouble w/ him the last month or so, so that makes all of this doubly sweet. It's like this cloud has kind-of lifted, & I can see he's still in there. :001_smile:

I've been sick for 2 days now. He took care of everything yesterday, from entertaining to feeding babies. This morning, when I got up, he was standing over the oven making eggs, & coffee was already brewed.

(Since it's a stomach thing, I really wish I would have told him yesterday that the coffee was a no-go. He ground beans ils brought back from Italy. :001_huh: But he did a good job of it.)

Earlier this week, he had made oatmeal when I got up. He said he wanted to have a good day, & Daddy always tells him to *decide* to have one, not just hope for it, & he knew that breakfast would help us have a good day.

We've been having a lot of trouble w/ him the last month or so, so that makes all of this doubly sweet. It's like this cloud has kind-of lifted, & I can see he's still in there. :001_smile:

Awesome kid. I've always liked him. LOL Seriously...you do a great job of describing him and he sounds great.

Aubrey how do you do it and what am I doing wrong? Seriously your post makes me sigh - I'm happy for you but it's so disheartening to think I have one near the same age (turned 9 over the summer) and he is nothing like that for me. I went on bedrest for my pregnancy a week ago and honestly I think he is the most difficult one of my 4 to deal with - people keep commenting that "at least he's old enough to be helpful" and I just think 'hmmmm - not really". :glare:

I hope you are feeling better today!

Aubrey how do you do it and what am I doing wrong? Seriously your post makes me sigh - I'm happy for you but it's so disheartening to think I have one near the same age (turned 9 over the summer) and he is nothing like that for me. I went on bedrest for my pregnancy a week ago and honestly I think he is the most difficult one of my 4 to deal with - people keep commenting that "at least he's old enough to be helpful" and I just think 'hmmmm - not really". :glare:

I hope you are feeling better today!

First, I don't want you to think it's anything I've done. We have shockingly bad days, too, lol.

I think relationship comes first, & I've noticed that when ds's behavior/mood go the wrong way, I usually haven't been spending as much time w/ him, have been too hard on him, too high of expectations. Something like that. I have a friend who's a youngest, & she has the hardest time w/ her oldest, & I think it's almost a cultural difference. I don't think she can *see* his POV, if that makes sense. Now, as an oldest, hopefully I'll remember that when my youngest gets big enough for me to try my own medicine. :lol:

I bet your bedrest is hard on him. Everybody's expecting him to help, whereas a little stomach bug? I wasn't really expecting anything. I said, "Who's ready for math?" And then offered to let my bigs help w/ the littles instead. LOL

I guess what I'm saying is, don't be too hard on yourself or your ds. If expectations do need to be raised, now's probably not the time to do it anyway.

:grouphug: I hope you have some good friends nearby to take care of you!

You're so encouraging Aubrey :) I am a youngest and my son is an oldest - I do think it differs our perspective. Also, he and I are very very similar. He's kind of a little me. Sometimes I get frustrated because I see so much of myself in him....anyway, you are probably very correct - now is not the time to up the bar.

Yep, I have some help so we are managing thankfully. Not getting a lot of school done but we're eating and the laundry is done and the kids are dressed so that's managing. :p

Sorry for the hijack!

You're so encouraging Aubrey :) I am a youngest and my son is an oldest - I do think it differs our perspective. Also, he and I are very very similar. He's kind of a little me. Sometimes I get frustrated because I see so much of myself in him....anyway, you are probably very correct - now is not the time to up the bar.

Yep, I have some help so we are managing thankfully. Not getting a lot of school done but we're eating and the laundry is done and the kids are dressed so that's managing. :p

Sorry for the hijack!

Oh, whew. I can't tell you how many times this morning I've almost gone back & deleted my reply to you.

If y'all are eating, the kids are dressed, & laundry is done, you're doing better than us! (A lot better, unfortunately--WHY can't 2yos keep their undies ON??? :lol:)