Menu

So, my son wants to learn Latin

Hedgehogs4

Today my son (8) announced that he wants to learn Spanish and French, like Nathaniel Bowditch in Carry On, Mr. Bowditch. I reminded him that his hero studied Latin first, and so he said, "okay, can you get me a Latin Bible, Mom? That's how he did it." I told him that I thought there might be a Latin program that would be suitable for him, and would make it a little easier to learn than using a Bible and a Latin grammar.

Now what? I was planning on starting Latin in a year or two. This was not on the agenda for this year, and I am a little surprised! Any suggestions?

I'm sure you'll get lots of different answers here on this topic. Of course, check out WTM for recommendations.

We started Prima Latina this year. It's an easy and nice start to Latin. I wanted their first experience with Latin to be successful and enjoyable so they will be excited to move on. My 2 kids studying Latin are 7 and 9. We watch the lesson DVDs and use the workbooks, which is a nice variety to me teaching everything.

Tossing Latin For Children out there. Even after 28 weeks, it's my daughter's favorite subject, and that's saying something considering it's also the subject that makes her think/work the hardest. The videos are a little low-budget, but I think that's part of what makes it non-threatening. The whole program is very engaging, and the books and videos really speak to children personally and on their level. There are little for-fun segments at the end of each video lesson that makes re-watching even more appealing, which makes memorization easy.

Definitely want to get the whole package (dvds, activity book, etc).

I debated between Lively Latin and Latin for Children for a while and decided that we are going the Latin for Children route. I think it was the DVDs that won be over (I liked the sample one on their website and like the idea of watching that once a week with everyone, even the littles who are not yet doing formal Latin). I've also been pleased with Song School Latin by the same company. My oldest will start after the new year (he'll be 8.5 years old).

I plan to start with Latin for Children when my dd is about 8 1/4. I dithered between that and Lively Latin, but I want something with videos, and I also don't want to pay for a curriculum that has Roman history and character lessons when I wouldn't really use those. (I'll also admit that I am a bit mistrustful of home-produced, work-in-progress curricula as I have seen too many that are abandoned.) The Classical Academic Press website has extensive samples of LfC materials on it.

Tara

We just started Prima Latina, it's a nice gentle intro to Biblical Latin. You could start that this year, or maybe even Latina Christiana I. If you wait, you can definitely start with Latina Christiana I.

:iagree:

Both overlap so well that a little time spent in Prima Latina (memoriapress.com) goes a long way in Latina Christiana.

I do not use Minimus and I don't have a link for it :p , but I've looked at it and it seems like an interesting approach as well.

:iagree:

Both overlap so well that a little time spent in Prima Latina (memoriapress.com) goes a long way in Latina Christiana.

I do not use Minimus and I don't have a link for it :p , but I've looked at it and it seems like an interesting approach as well.

My ds is an advanced learner but only 7 (soon to be 8). Is Prima latina necessary or can one start with LC? I am unclear as to the scope and difference between Prima latina and LC as well. I got the impression that Prima Latina was mostly grammar. Is Prima Latina cover grammar extensively or will it be too easy for an advanced learner? Do the books and DVDs appeal to little boys?

I appreciate any info:)

My ds is an advanced learner but only 7 (soon to be 8). Is Prima latina necessary or can one start with LC? I am unclear as to the scope and difference between Prima latina and LC as well. I got the impression that Prima Latina was mostly grammar. Is Prima Latina cover grammar extensively or will it be too easy for an advanced learner?
You can start with LC I - it assumes no prior Latin experience. Doing PL first would give you a head start on the vocab, mostly. PL does little to no Latin grammar, but does do basic (8 parts of speech) English grammar. PL is meant for K-3, and LC I is meant for 3-5, or after PL. If you think your son is working at a 3rd grade level (or higher) in grammar, then LC should be fine (though you may have to modify the writing if your ds doesn't do much writing).

You can start with LC I - it assumes no prior Latin experience. Doing PL first would give you a head start on the vocab, mostly. PL does little to no Latin grammar, but does do basic (8 parts of speech) English grammar. PL is meant for K-3, and LC I is meant for 3-5, or after PL. If you think your son is working at a 3rd grade level (or higher) in grammar, then LC should be fine (though you may have to modify the writing if your ds doesn't do much writing).

:iagree: (what she said)

Ds is really flying with languages for us too. We did PL last year, but didn't finish it. I'm grateful to it, because he does already know some words, prayers, sayings, etc. I think he could've started without it, but it might have been a little frustrating, because LC does cover grammar. IOW, PL gives you a grace period to do some of the easier stuff and get a feel for it, but I don't believe it's necessary.

My ds is an advanced learner but only 7 (soon to be 8). Is Prima latina necessary or can one start with LC? I am unclear as to the scope and difference between Prima latina and LC as well. I got the impression that Prima Latina was mostly grammar. Is Prima Latina cover grammar extensively or will it be too easy for an advanced learner? Do the books and DVDs appeal to little boys?

I appreciate any info:)

We're doing fine without the DVDs because I know Spanish. My daughter is reading very well and is good at languages, but I tried Latina Christiana and it was a bit overwhelming for her, she's working through Prima Latina very quickly and likes it. (She also thought it was great the first lesson when 1 of the 5 words she had to learn was the same as in Spanish--Luna, she had already learned that from our Spanish work.) The program seems gender neutral to me.