Menu

At what age do you start...

getting a bit more strict about "the wiggles?" My ds 6 apparently cannot do any school work with out actually sitting on the table and wiggling all over. I have accomodated it--hey, part of the reason we homeschool is so we can learn however it works for us, right? But it is getting worse and I am beginning to envision him getting kicked out of SAT testing because he can't sit in the darned chair. (We live in a testing state, and he'll have to test in two years.)

So, am I making a mountain out of a mole hill, or should I start getting a little stricter about doing seat work in the seat? (BTW, we only do about 1 1/2 hours of work a day and ample breaks are offered, so I am not draconian about things.) Is this one of those things that homeschoolers need to pay attention to, or should I leave it alone?

I wouldn't expect a 6 y.o. boy to truly sit still for much longer than 15 minutes just yet. :) My 6 is still pretty wiggly, and that's expected for this age.

He can do his work standing. He can do jumping jacks or run up and down the stairs between tasks. Sometimes if I need something, I'll ask him to fetch it--a pencil, a book off the shelf, some paper or scissors. He can get the lap desk and sit at the couch to wiggle and work. And I often just let him wiggle as long as he's quiet. :)

I started getting stricter with my oldest son, now 8, around the end of 2nd grade. But I was following his lead. He was ready for that expectation and did just fine.

Cat

My 8-year old can't sit! Which is one of the reason we love FLL, he can be dancing around the living room while we are doing the assignments. As long he isn't being silly and participating I don't worry about it. I do wonder if he'll be able to sit through a test when the time comes. When he is sitting still he isn't able to work and just stares or scribbles on paper. I can't imagine him being able to finish a test! I have another year before I have to worry to much about that though. Hopefully the wiggles will be gone by then.

Well, my ds couldn't sit in a chair without falling out. He never sat still. I worried whether he ever would. I did make sure he had lots of time to play outside and get some wiggles, but otherwise didn't enforce stillness. Now he is a senior in highschool. He sits at the computer desk, but never really in the chair. He still wiggles, not as much, but I wouldn't call it still. However, he completed the PSAT, SAT, does Community College, and school at home. I think they adjust, if they don't outgrow the wiggles. My son doesn't fall off the chair anymore but he does swing his legs, or some other little movement.

Well, I am much relieved to hear that I am not alone!:)

I really want to make our learning time enjoyable for all and asking him to get down off the table a million times a day just kills the joy. The funny thing is, when he is on the table, he really does concentrate better!

Now I just need to invest in a bigger table...you know, so he can stretch out full length.:lol:

Baby steps to build up the time. We started to build sit down time around the age of 5 1/2 with our ds and only for 10 - 15 mins. We did this gently with praise and ticket prize method.(Several 10 - 15 mins. sessions a day and he received a ticket which bought him 15 mins. of electronic time. We still use the positive reinforcement method - marks on the board - which is now for a week long not just the day) He turned 7 in Aug. and sits long enough to get two R&S reading or phonics pages done, YEAH!! When I teach the lesson he lays on the floor playing with what ever he picks up, army men, cars, blocks, etc. He still answers the questions correct when asked so he is paying attention just in his own way. Just have to love homeschooling. :D

Lisa wife for 23 years to an awesome man

DD 19 college Jr. Law/English major

DS 7 having fun loving legos

I'm 32 and still a fidgeter :blush5:

The Mayo Clinic did a study that found some people burn off as many as 350 calories/day through what the researchers called "Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis" or NEAT. I remember hearing about the study and thinking, "yep, that's me". Even now as I type I'm jiggling my foot. I guess I just have a lot of excess energy!

Our town mothers' club did a pedometer challenge last spring. While the other moms averaged about 5,000-7,000 steps per day, I averaged a whopping 14,000 on days when I didn't specifically exercise and 21,000 on the days when I did workout. :willy_nilly: