Menu

Piano lesson questions

Ds1 has expressed interest in taking piano lessons. I have no musical knowledge in the area of instruments so I'm hoping for some advice.

He's only 5 yrs old, is this too early for lessons?

We don't own a piano or keyboard and I'm hesitant to invest in one in case his interest fades. Is it better to find a teacher and take lessons elsewhere or to invest and have the lessons at home. It would be hard for me to sit with ds1 during a lesson elsewhere b/c my younger is quite squirmy, but I don't feel comfortable leaving him alone either.

Are there certain kinds/styles of lessons that are better than others?

I've heard of Suzuki Piano in my area, is that recommended? How is it different from other lessons?

Any specific questions I should ask a potential teacher?

Thank you!!

I wouldn't suggest taking piano lessons without at least a keyboard in the house. He will need to practice in order to make any progress with the lessons.

Does someone you know have a keyboard they could loan you for a month or two? That would give you time to see how much he enjoys playing and if it is worth the investment to buy one. I would think you should be able to find a nice used keyboard with a stand, etc. for $100-$200. Ours was under $200 new and has been adequate for dd5 to practice on at her skill level. We hope to eventually buy a used baby grand but until then the keyboard will have to do. :D

I'd buy a used piano before I'd buy a keyboard, at least at those prices. The touch is different, and a used piano doesn't have to cost so much. You might even find one someone has sitting around that they want to get rid of.

When I started playing as a kid, I practiced on the church piano. Not ideal, but it can be done. When the tax rebate came, my mom pronto bought us a piano of our own! :)

My children started piano this fall. They are 7 and 9 years. I've had the piano since they were 5 and 7 years old. I'm glad we waited for lessons. They are doing above my expectations and I don't even need to nag them to practice!

We purchased a piano for $50. The woman who tuned it said we got a steal and she tells people if they can find a piano for less than $100, grab it. You can even find them for free, if you move them. That is, of course, the hard part. Our piano is solid oak and HEAVY. I had to promise my dh that it was staying at the spot in the living room because he didn't plan on moving it again for a VERY long time :D.

Ds1 has expressed interest in taking piano lessons. I have no musical knowledge in the area of instruments so I'm hoping for some advice.

He's only 5 yrs old, is this too early for lessons?

Not necessarily, especially if it's interest driven (i.e. his interest).

We don't own a piano or keyboard and I'm hesitant to invest in one in case his interest fades. Is it better to find a teacher and take lessons elsewhere or to invest and have the lessons at home. It would be hard for me to sit with ds1 during a lesson elsewhere b/c my younger is quite squirmy, but I don't feel comfortable leaving him alone either.

Well, to be honest, you might not have a choice in that regard. Most of the piano teachers in my area have the students come to them. I understand you not wanting to leave him alone. And there is usually another room (especially if the lessons are in someone's house) or area you can take you little one and still have an ear out for your ds. Most compentent piano teachers, especially if they have experience with young students, have absolutely no objection to parents remaining near by.

Are there certain kinds/styles of lessons that are better than others?

I'm kind of old fashioned. I didn't learn by and don't use the Suzuki method for my kids. Different people have different opinions and no one way is 100% correct, especially with very young students. Suzuki isn't necessarily more recommended than other methods. I don't know enough about the intricacies of the method to compare and contrast, though.

I've heard of Suzuki Piano in my area, is that recommended? How is it different from other lessons?

Any specific questions I should ask a potential teacher?

Well, how much does he/she charge? Is it per lesson? Per week? Per month? How many lessons per week/month will ds have? Does (s)he have any experience with young children? Does (s)he teach any theory? This is so very important, even for young students, and a surprising number of my university colleagues had NO understanding of basic theory as freshman (at a well regarded school of music). Yes, your ds probably won't major in music and it's too early in any event to plan for that...AND theory is still very important. Think of it as the phonics of music.

Thank you!!

You can get by with a keyboard if that's your only choice. But do consider looking for a used piano. They're generally not that expensive (i.e. can be around the same price as a good keyboard).

Also, and this is for you, don't have your ds practice for 30 minutes a day, especially when he's first starting out. I started teaching my ds when he was 5 and he practiced 5-8 minutes per day. And sometimes even that small amount of time was broken up into 2 chunks of time. He's now 8 and practices 10-15 minutes per day. Again this is usually broken up into 2 chunks of time.

Thanks for the advice!

Unfortunately, we have absolutely no space in our tiny duplex for a piano, but maybe in another year when we're ready to buy a house. I'm even hard pressed to find space for a keyboard at the moment!

I may have to just tell ds1 we need to wait a bit. But I will keep this page bookmarked to review the advice when current circumstances change.