Menu

Science Matters

BethInNH

We are currently using it for my ds. Right now we are only reading a chapter and having him take notes from him, I do the reading and then we discuss. He comes up with his own experiments, he very science-oriented and will dabble with something each week. If he were not self-motivating in that are I might pick up a few VanCleave experiment books from the library and chose a few experiments each week.

We also watch a lot of science related programs. We caught one about electricity and magnetism the day before we read about it the Science Matters book. I wish I could remember its name, but it covered almost everything in the chapter. I wish I could remember the name, I believe it was the Science channel?

Netflix has some great selections too and I have been trying to pick one for each area of science covered in the book.

We will complete the book before the holidays. After that we're moving to biology. If I wanted to make it a full year I might add in some biographies, maybe Hakim's Story of Science (which we're doing next year), and added books on whatever discipline seemed to interest them.

I love this book, I understand so many things about science for the first time. I think everyone who feels weak in their understanding of science shoud read it.

My 8th grader is reading Science Matters as I type this. For each chapter he takes notes by outlining, copies the diagrams, and writes a summary. We watch a lot of videos; we just finished up "The Elegant Universe." (You can watch many NOVA episodes online HERE.) He also keeps a nature journal and reads articles and books about the topics he has an interest in. We will pick up our dissection activities again soon, and we will be visiting several major geological features on a cross-country trip in February, including Carlsbad Caverns and the Grand Canyon. (That's in addition to the usual trips to the science museum.) Occasionally my daughter will harass him into doing an experiment with her (usually from one of the VanCleave books) but I'm not pushing lab work until high school.

My 8th grader is reading Science Matters as I type this. For each chapter he takes notes by outlining, copies the diagrams, and writes a summary. We watch a lot of videos; we just finished up "The Elegant Universe." (You can watch many NOVA episodes online HERE.) He also keeps a nature journal and reads articles and books about the topics he has an interest in. We will pick up our dissection activities again soon, and we will be visiting several major geological features on a cross-country trip in February, including Carlsbad Caverns and the Grand Canyon. (That's in addition to the usual trips to the science museum.) Occasionally my daughter will harass him into doing an experiment with her (usually from one of the VanCleave books) but I'm not pushing lab work until high school.

Sweet! Thanks for the links on NOVA. I'll be adding some of those to our schedule.