Menu

WHat is your favorite art curriculum or book for K-4th?

We started Meet The Masters 2 months ago and we are loving it. It really takes the pressure off of me and covers art history, a little bit of art appreciation, and art projects that the kids are actually proud of. In just a few hours (we do it 2x per month, about 1 hour each session) we've already learned and done more than my kids did in a co-op art class all last year.

We also do a lot of drawing (Draw Write Now, Draw Through History, Draw 50 Dogs) as part of our other studies, and occasional art projects like tie-dying, painting, sand art, etc.

I hate art (other than drawing in the margins of papers all through my school years, and even now during a class or sermon. . LOL). I figure my DS does a lot of art all summer at the VBS's he attends (seriously, he made about 35 art projects last summer). And I give him paper, crayons, markers, etc. .for drawing. Sigh. Guess I'm a failure in the art department.

http://www.artsattack.com/about_us.html

ask them to send you info - they used to have more on their website - I used several of their sets with my kids. More than one age can use each set. It ran about $50 for half a year's lessons plans/video (probably dvd too now) lessons. You and the kids watch the lesson - it has a teacher and kids showing what to do, etc.) before moving on to do the art project yourself. You do have to still come up with supplies, zerox any masters from the kit that might be needed, etc. I used this Friday afternoons as once the kids got into it it could eat a couple hours or more. It was a very good program, if I recall.

We just purchased Artistic Pursuits for my kindergartener, who loves art. I havent started it yet, but it looks great! It even touches on real-life artists and painting, then you create your own that's in a similar style. We'll probably go to the local art museum at some point while doing this curriculum.

Usborne Art Treasury

This is what we're using, & I love it. It's got a 2pg spread on an important artist, with images of one (or more?) of that artist's work, along with a short biography. The next 2pg spread is a simple project to do based on that artist's work. We painted trees, etc. w/ thick paint for Van Gogh, & then ran a plastic fork through it in swirling patterns, to give some of the effect of Starry, Starry Night. We got empty meat trays from the grocery store for Hokusai, & used a pencil to carve a wave into the bottom, then painted them, & made our own prints. This week is Picasso. :001_smile:

For older kids--say 10yo & up, there's another version, & it's internet-linked: The Children's Book of Art

ETA: I don't know what's up w/ my linking skills, but boy, they're on the fritz! LOL

Edited by Aubrey