Menu

How would you advise someone who wants to homeschool in this situation?

I'm supposed to receive a call from someone this week to discuss their options in homeschooling. They have an extremely intelligent high school boy who is being bullied. I think the parents both work...I'm really not sure. What curriculum choices would be good to advise for this particular family? I think this is a done deal so they are just wanting wisdom at this point.

If both parents are working I would suggest a video or computer based curriculum like Abeka, BJU, etc where they are not primarily responsible for teaching all subjects themselves. If he is of driving age I might also recomend that they look into the community college for the spring and a class or 2 for dual enrollment.

:iagree:

Check to see if an on-line charter school like K12 is available in their area. In many places it's free. Charter school at home would offer some checks and balances.

If both parents are working I would suggest a video or computer based curriculum like Abeka, BJU, etc where they are not primarily responsible for teaching all subjects themselves. If he is of driving age I might also recommend that they look into the community college for the spring and a class or 2 for dual enrollment.
Edited by Tammyla

If they're Christian, or wouldn't mind a Christian Program, I'd suggest looking into something like Classical Conversations.... It's a one a week program. They'd have to see if there's one with an opening.... and if the kids are like they were here... Really Nice and accepting! Also, he'd have to be a self motivator to have it work. My daughter enjoyed it last year... coming from a PS and not being Socially too advanced...

Carrie:-)

I would also recommend that one of the parents see if they can cut back their work hours. I know some kids can homeschool themselves, but I worry about loneliness, depression, and maybe even some trouble when a kid spends that much time alone. If not, then maybe they can hire someone to "tutor" him for a few hours a day or week, so he gets some interaction.

:iagree: A CC class might also fill the bill or one parent working an early day and the other a later one if they work outside the home.

I would also recommend that one of the parents see if they can cut back their work hours. I know some kids can homeschool themselves, but I worry about loneliness, depression, and maybe even some trouble when a kid spends that much time alone. If not, then maybe they can hire someone to "tutor" him for a few hours a day or week, so he gets some interaction.