Menu

Felted wool?

Has anyone here felted wool out of old sweaters? I've been wanting to try, and finally stopped by Goodwill while dds were at band tonight to try to find some wool sweaters. I just happened to walk into their sweater sale - 99 cents each! So I have 15 that I've been tearing apart (and my eyes are itchy now!)

What I'm wondering - my washer doesn't have a "hot" setting - just cold and warm. Would you pour heated water in with the load, or would warm do it?

I've felted two items (a bag and a crown) in my front loader. It does have a hot wash setting, though. They came out nicely. I put the item in a mesh bag and washed it with a couple pairs of ds's old jeans. Both items went through 2 cycles to get the texture I wanted, although the crown actually over-felted and I had to stretch it back out a bit. I also turned off the spin cycle. I'd read that the spin can put creases into your item that are hard to get out. But you'll need to squeeze out the extra water then stretch the item to shape.

Oh, I just remembered that a few years ago dh accidentally felted his 100% merino sweater by throwing it in the wash with other clothes. Top loader on warm. So it could work--probably just depends on the wool. Have fun with it!

Cinder

• 2 weeks later...