Menu

Which graphing calculator?

I bought the TI-83 silver when it was cutting edge, but it just died. I need to upgrade but I don't know which to choose. My oldest daughter has the TI-89 and loves it, but if Jenna needs one in college Meghan can pass it down. I know not to buy the TI-89 because it can't be used on the SAT, right?

So which do I buy and why?

Barb

I would either go with the TI-84 silver plus, because it is way faster than the 83 or consider the new TI-Nspire.

http://education.ti.com/educationportal/sites/US/productDetail/us_nspire.html

If I were buying a new grapher, that can be used on the tests, I'd probably go for this. Although TI says they aren't going to phase out the 84's, I have my personal pessimistic suspicions that the Nspire was developed to be the new 83/84 replacement. Just make sure you get it with out CAS or you WON't be able to take it into the tests.

DS used his TI89 on the SAT for the October test.

The ACT folks do not permit the TI-89 and their report states that the #1 reason kids are removed from the testing center is because they show up with the TI89.

My DS loves his 89 and cannot stand my TI 83. I love my 83 and dislike his 89. The learning curve for the 89 is STEEP and while the Ti83 or 84 do have learning curves, they aren't as steep.

Carole

I would either go with the TI-84 silver plus, because it is way faster than the 83 or consider the new TI-Nspire.

http://education.ti.com/educationportal/sites/US/productDetail/us_nspire.html

If I were buying a new grapher, that can be used on the tests, I'd probably go for this. Although TI says they aren't going to phase out the 84's, I have my personal pessimistic suspicions that the Nspire was developed to be the new 83/84 replacement. Just make sure you get it with out CAS or you WON't be able to take it into the tests.

Sharon this looks great! I had no idea they'd come out with a new one. I'm particularly excited over the snap-in TI84 keyboard. That should go a long way toward cutting down on transition time. I like the idea of owning the latest technology because it will be in service for many years to come.

I realize now I made a mistake...it's not the SAT but the ACT that prohibits the TI-89. Since she will do both tests, it makes sense not to invest in one as our backup calculator is now fried. My older daughter is finished with math courses, so we'll get the 89 back anyway, as soon as she remembers to bring it back from college.

So we're good...thanks all!

Barb

I do heartily agree however, that the learning curve for the 89 is quite steep. The fact that you can use the new Nspire like an 83/84 would send me in that direction.

But I've not played with one...so take it all with a grain of salt.

Is it possible that the ti-89 used to be prohibited on the SAT? Possibly the PSAT? I thought I remembered that too. My oldest took the SAT for the first time in 2003, so maybe policies have changed. Or maybe we're just nuts :D

Okay, I just pulled the trigger on the Ti-Inspire. I was teetering between that and the 84 plus silver because of some shaky reviews on Amazon, but here is what pushed me over:

Better graphics. I can't get over paying so much for technology with 1992 era graphics.

The ability to pop on the TI-84 keyboard and in essence, turn the computer into a functional TI-84.

The 4 screen-compare. Daughter will be very excited for that feature.

Price. The TI-84 is still pretty pricey compared to the Inspire or the TI-89, both more sophisticated pieces.

I found a new one in the package on Ebay for $119 shipped if anyone is interested in purchasing one: Nspire. She has one left.

Barb