Menu

New HS 4 next yr, need help n science

alexfam

I really like the wtm way of doing science. My ds 6 yo loves science, however i liked things planned and laid out as too what do do on this day. DS will be following Gr. 2 science from WTM. Does anyone know of a layout that i can follow? this is the only subject i'm worrying about.

When my dd was that age, we enjoyed the Apologia Elementary Astronomy and also the Let's Read and Find Out series, which would be at your local library. I've never done science the WTM-way, as we prefer a lot of hands-on and variety. We also like the BJU science and My World Science. We tried the SL science2 and it fizzled with us (too many worksheets). Other than that, about everything we've tried after reading about it around here has been enjoyable. We've even just worked through some basic kits and books from the American Chemical Society this year and that's been fun. Usborne books (we did one on magnets, another on light) make a nice spine to read and do experiments/demonstrations from. I have found that my dd's interests do seem to fit the WTM-listed progression (earth in 1st, bio in 2nd, chem in 3rd, physics in 4th), but I haven't worked really hard to follow the suggestions beyond that. Oh well, we're still happy. :)

We're using the Usborne First Encyclopedia of Our World

http://www.ubah.com/ecommerce/details.asp?sid=S2722&gid=38159959&title=First+Encyclopedia+of+Our+World+IL&sqlwhere=submit%3Dsearch%26search%3Dfirst%2Bencyclopedia%2Bof

and the Usborne First Encyclopedia of Space http://www.ubah.com/ecommerce/details.asp?sid=S2722&gid=38159959&title=First+Encyclopedia+of+Space+IL&sqlwhere=submit%3Dsearch%26search%3Dfirst%2Bencyclopedia%2Bof

Ds7 reads a 2p spread, copies one sentence that he finds interesting, illustrates it, & we call it done. We've also got a basket of science books, whether that we own or from the library, that we keep by the sofa, & I also assign him a couple of these each week.

Beyond that, we try to do some observations &/or experiments. Jessica from Trivium Academy found a great earth science experiment set called Learning Resources Spotlight On Science Volcanoes Earthquakes and Tsunamis Kit http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-Spotlight-Volcanoes-Earthquakes/dp/B000296LTS You might want to shop around for this one--I can't remember how much I paid, but I think I got mine from CBD.

GL! We love science here (esp since ds can do most of it either w/ or w/out me;))!