Menu

Homemade Laundry Detergent/Dishwasher Detergent

I have a recipe to make my own laundry detergent out of Borax, Washing Soda, Fels Naptha bar soap and tap water. Cost is about $2 for 10 gallons. Also heard 1 part borax and 1 part baking soda makes a good dishwasher detergent. Has anyone had good/bad results with homemade detergent? I'm thinking over time this would be a great savings as long as it gets things clean. :)

There are lots of threads about it if you search the forums. Some people are happy with it; others find it leaves clothes dingy.

Put me in the "dingy" camp. Our clothes were noticeably less clean after going through one batch of homemade. I went back to Tide.

With Tide, I can use less than the recommended amount and it still cleans and freshens our clothes. So it's not expensive - I wait for sales & coupons, and spend about $6/month.

I added 3 scoops of oxyclean and used ivory soap instead of Naptha. That made a considerable difference. I have also increased the amount of soap to 1/2 bar per recipe. Vinegar is an "okay" softner that reduces hard water and build up. I still use softner but will add a little vinegar for a boost.

I bleach all my whites, so dingyness has not been an issue for me.

Overall, the home-made detergent does the job. I will sometimes use purex if I run out or don't feel like making a batch.

HTH

Angie,

I use the same recipe for laundry detergent and it does great for me. Saves money and the clothes are clean. I used the dishwasher recipe and it was a flop.

Angie

:iagree:I make the powder version of this laundry soap and really like it. My mom uses the liquid recipe and likes it better than the powder(I am going to make a batch of liquid and then compare them). The dishwasher soap didn't work for us. It left a film on my dishes so we're back to the store stuff. I think that the hardness/softness of your water may have a lot to do w/ whether you like the laundry soap or not.