Menu

There is a mouse in my house

Update on post #19

It is a tame mouse. A purchased mouse, actually. In a weak moment, I allowed my 8yo to buy two fancy mice at the Petsmart 3-4 days ago. I thought they were big enough to put in the cage, but apparently not. They both squeezed through the cage bars in the first 24 hours, except the friendlier one squeezed back through to eat this morning and is now caught. Evolution in action, my friends. Anyway, we now have an increasingly frantic little fancy mouse darting from room to room looking for food and water. I follow it around with the food bowl hoping it'll notice I'm not purposefully starving it to death, but it's too frantic to notice.

I'd really like to just capture the silly thing. Any suggestions? I think I'm beginning to run out of time.

Barb

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

My first thought when I saw your thread title was, "There's a bug in my rug".

This is the remedy we heard for missing hamsters, but I'm sure it would work for a mouse.

Build a staircase out of bricks into your bathtub. Put a carrot in the bathtub. Mouse (or hamster) should follow carrot scent.

It didn't work for us, though. Trixie (cute puppulah in avatar) found him first and he.....uhm......became a snack. Well, partially. I had no idea that hamster can back up on a dog. (hamster-burn instead of heartburn?) :001_huh:

Close the door to the room that he is in. Put a towel along the edge of the door so that he can't get out. Put the food bowl down. Be really quiet and still and let him come to the food on his own. After that, I'm stumped. . . Quick put a basket on top of him?

He is so FAST! Like lightening. He stops in the middle of a room to sniff while 5 people attempt to scoop him up with various objects, but blink and he's gone. I have yet to get him into one room long enough to close him up.

Has anyone ever tried a humane trap?

Luckily for you I'm trying to stay up all night so I can work in the wee hours tomorrow night. :lol:

I found some links for ya:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/09/mouse_trap.php

http://journal.chrisglass.com/2005/09/how_to_catch_a_.html

FYI: The second one looks easiest. I lost interest after reading the supplies list in link one.

Luckily for you I'm trying to stay up all night so I can work in the wee hours tomorrow night. :lol:

I found some links for ya:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/09/mouse_trap.php

http://journal.chrisglass.com/2005/09/how_to_catch_a_.html

FYI: The second one looks easiest. I lost interest after reading the supplies list in link one.

Actually, I love the idea of the second one!! I could totally make that work. The stupid mouse has found the pantry and thinks he has died and gone to mouse heaven. If I don't find him soon, he's going to eat through all the boxes of Cheerios. Our recycling can looks just like the one in the picture, and we just emptied it. He spends most of his time on the cereal shelf anyway, so it would probably be easy to lure him with a novel snack. I'm going to make this a homeschooling project tomorrow.

Barb

Ack!! you are right Perry!! They are freaky little jumpers!! I used a deep garbage can... covered it with plastic wrap.... and an atlas.... and delivered them to the park.....

OP ~ did you catch your mouse? I'll have the heebie-jeebies until I know for sure!

I think the mouse is dead :001_unsure: I set the trap but I've not seen or heard it since. Now I just have to find it before my daughter does.

Barb

My first thought when I saw your thread title was, "There's a bug in my rug".

My first thought was, "There's a wocket in my pocket." :001_smile:

OP, if your mouse died in the house, pray that it didn't get into the walls or anywhere else you can't remove it. A friend of mine had a mouse die in her bathroom walls, and you wouldn't believe the stink. :001_huh:

I think the mouse is dead :001_unsure: I set the trap but I've not seen or heard it since. Now I just have to find it before my daughter does.

Barb

Oh, poor thing!

My first thought was, "There's a wocket in my pocket." :001_smile:

Which I do not wish to keep.

But the Zillow on my pillow

always helps me fall asleep.

Okay guys, he's back. We just spotted him in the laundry room. I hadn't seen him in days, but he's figured out how to live in the wilds of the downstairs. He obviously doesn't care for peanut butter. What else shall I bait the trap with? I thought about just leaving him be until he dies of natural causes, but now....

It's personal.

Barb

Okay guys, he's back. We just spotted him in the laundry room. I hadn't seen him in days, but he's figured out how to live in the wilds of the downstairs. He obviously doesn't care for peanut butter. What else shall I bait the trap with? I thought about just leaving him be until he dies of natural causes, but now....

It's personal.

Barb

I would bait the trap with whatever you were feeding him before he escaped.

We've had good luck with the humane traps. I wish I had a picture of my favorite, but here is one of three different types that Loverboy has used around our trailer.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1280340&cp=2568443.2568444.2598676.2602605.1305668&origkw=mouse+trap

We purchase them from the local hardware store. When we catch a vole, we relocate it to a more desolate and wild area.

With a live trap, just be sure to check it a couple of times a day. I would feel bad for the critters if they starved or froze to death.

--Laura in Iowa