Menu

Can somebody explain Ambleside Online to me?

Sue G in PA

It was suggested that I check out AO for my dd12 returning home from ps since we do not have a ton of money for new curriculum. So, I looked and I like what I see. A lot. But, I am confused. I want to do Year 5 b/c it is the time period we need to study in History. Do the years coorespond to grades and so would Yr. 5 be too easy for her? The books seem to vary from easy to more difficult...certainly not too difficult, though. Can anyone help guide me through this? I'm so confused!

Be sure to read the FAQ on their site for a good answer to your questions.

In a nutshell, the years do not necessarily correspond to grades. If she is in the 6th or 7th grade, level 5 might be a good place to start. It is always best to start lower and bump them up if the work is too easy than to go back down after starting high.

As for history, they have a 6 year cycle that starts over with year 7. I wouldn't worry about placement based on where one is in history. I would worry more about reading level and such.

:iagree:about the grade levels. A blog called *Higher Up and Further In* was very helpful to me when I was using AO. We still use ideas from there. The FAQ on the AO website are extremely helpful, and there are commentaries from AO users if you search around the site.

I love Ambleside Online. Just to tell you I know one of the moms who sits on the Advisory Board. My older son is on her children's frisbee team. :lol:

I would recommend that you read the website and look at the book suggestions at the level you are considering. Ambleside does not agree with watering down the books. So, they are recommending unabridged versions of the books. I also suggest that you go a grade level down from what your child is doing. If they can breath through the level (you will be able to tell by the first few books they read) then, move to the next level. The child has to be able to comprehend what they are reading.

I will give you AO in a nutshell given by Carol H. She is one of the moms that is very imformative on the AO yahoo group. Here it is:

1. Read books from AO book list

2. Do copywork

3. Practice phonics (for pre-readers)

4. Do math and science

5. Listen to music, look at art, read a poem

6. Take a nature walk

7. Keep a nature journal

8. Listen to narrations after readings-write them down or have child draw a picture

9. Sing folk songs

10 Memorize hymns and Bible verses

11. Get outside and drill (play)

12. Do some handicrafts.

I fall short on the handicrafts and nature walks. My schedule is a bit nuts with extracurricular activities. So, I will wait till my schedule lightens. Remember that your child is past 4th grade so, you have to include Shakespeare and Plutarch in it.

Ambleside Online has most of their stuff online. According to the Advisory Board member, she stated that the focus is to give as much as possible a free education to all.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I love AO! We used it for about 4 months and the only reason I stopped was because I found it difficult having my dc in different time periods. I missed the closeness of studying the same time period together as a family. We still use many of the books though. The books are AWESOME!

Just to let you know.......my dd11 is a great reader and I had her doing AO year 4. It was plenty challenging, while not being overly difficult.

AO is very flexible, really. Just print out the first term of what year you're interested in. You'll find most of the books at the library. Your child can pick from a large list for their free reading choice, you can get that at the library too, probably. Don't worry about a daily schedule, use AO's weekly one and give it to your child. They'll be in shock that THEY get to pick what to read when. Don't sweat not having the perfect books they recommend. If you don't have the science book, choose another or wait till later.

Begin to get outside with them and study what you see. Not book study, just observing. Just doing those two things - reading a great book and spending quiet reflection time would be a perfect intro to homeschooling, I think.

Not that you can continue like this (though some do :) but these first few months home are crucial I think for setting up doing a job well without complaining. That skill alone will serve him/her wonderfully! throughout their remaining school years.

Enjoy 'em. What a gift homeschooling is, kwim?

Edited by momee

joining the Ambleside Yahoo Group. Moms are very helpful! :)Gina

:iagree:

We've justed started year 1 last month so I can't give you any advice on the upper levels. I love the book suggestions and it really is flexible. The reading is definitely more challenging but it works for us but we like it so far and I hope to stay with it as long as it works. The FAQs section was really helpful. It may seem like a lot of reading at first glance but once you enter it all in a spreadsheet or some kind of schedule it definitely looks doable. I organize my readings by week and my child picks and choose what day we read the selections. Works well for us.

Good luck!

Edited by Moniksca