Menu

Okay knitting is taking over my life.

I'm seriously in love with this hobby. I'm telling you homeschooling is really encroaching on my knitting time :lol:.

I am very new at this but am loving it. Today I figured out how to do cabling (when really I should have been studying tomorrow's writing project).

I'm going to shock my family with some homemade Christmas gifts (especially my sister's who, up until this point, were blessed with all the creativity).

How did you learn? I would love to learn but everybody I know that knits, is too busy to teach me.

My mom showed me how to do the knit stitch. My friend showed me the pearl stitch. I bought a book from a craft store and started with a couple of dish rags with patterns and two coloured yarns. The book is entitled "I Can't believe I'm Knitting!" a Leisure Arts book.

I also use this site because it has some little videos that help "show" me when I'm stumped. http://www.knittinghelp.com/

Someone on here posted a pattern for a scarf-let. That's what I'm working on now.

Like I said I am very new, previously not really a craft person, but am really enjoying this hobby. It seems quite relaxing.

Oh and of course I've checked out the Ravelery site too.

I love to knit! It is so soothing and such a great activity for me to do when i'm listening to the kids read (although I see your kids are older than that). I love the yarns, the textures, the colors....everything about it. I am right there with you - I wish I had more time to knit!

ETA: I learned to knit from a book called Stitch n *itch - I hope the name isn't too off putting....it was super helpful and I went straight from it to making simple sweaters for my kids. I've since learned mittens, socks, and top down circular sweaters.

If knitting is already taking over you life, then DON'T, I say it again, DON'T go up on ravelry. :) You'll never have any chance at a normal life again.

Enjoy!

I learned to knit from a book called Stitch n *itch - I hope the name isn't too off putting....it was super helpful and I went straight from it to making simple sweaters for my kids. I've since learned mittens, socks, and top down circular sweaters.

I agree with you...this is THE BEST book to learn to knit, and I've tried a lot of knitting self-teaching books. Her crochet book with an equally "interesting" name is "The Happy *ooker" -- also wonderful.

Isn't it great?!!! Especially in the winter. I love to sit by a warm fire with a cozy blanket and my favorite sweater. I get my coffee ready and put my feet up and I knit to my heart's content. I don't just knit though. I crochet and I like to do cross stitch too. I find cross stich the most addictive. I am up at all hours trying to finish a cross stitch project.

The strangest thing for me was that I had no problem learning how to crochet with my mom teaching me, but no matter how much she tried to teach me to knit I just didn't get it. then my grandmother sits down with me to teach me for about 5 minutes and I got it lol.

Edited by Peri

I'm with ya! I love knitting. My family laughs (in a nice way) about all the yarn I have stashed away and my not-so-secret compulsion to buy more.

I'm so impressed by your brave entry into the land of cables! Way to go!

Well I just finished showing my friend my cabling project. She asked me what would make decide to do cabling after just learning to knit and purl (I have a reputation for not reading instructions.) That is what happened in this case. I saw the project. Thought it looked cool. Started. Then realized cabling was part of the pattern. Figured it out. So far so good. (I think I'll study the instructions when it comes to socks.)

Anyway my friend brought me a little present (for dog sitting) . . .Knitting for Dummies. So now I have to put down the knitting and do some reading (my most favourite thing to do).

That's my favourite way to learn as well... just jump right in at the deep end. Flute lessons, cooking, video games with the kids... I'd ace the harder parts and totally fumble the easy ones. :001_huh:

I've been teaching myself to knit since around June and already want to knit more of the complex stuff like lace, fair isle, or intarsia.

My mum used to knit a lot of sweaters for the family. She told me she rarely used patterns as all the stitches and designs are based on knit and purl so when you know those you do whatever you want and learn from experience. Sounds like that's just what you're doing and having a great time doing it.

Are you on Ravelry? My ravelry name is Nanshe if anyone wants to add me as a friend.