Menu

We are loving CLE Sunrise Math!

profmom

I just wanted to post this because it was a tough decision to change from SM after using the full Primary series with my oldest (and believing in SM so strongly)! For this child (ds -- #2, 5th grade), CLE is a much better fit! I probably can't fully describe why, but I think a lot of it is that he needed the review that is built into each lesson instead of the mastery approach of SM. The repetition of seeing a variety of problems each day (in addition to the practice on the new concepts) is cementing those procedures for him. Also, CLE seems to ask for smaller jumps in mathematical reasoning, which is better for him.

Other pluses for CLE Math for him:

~ Workbook format -- this is one of the main reasons we went with CLE over R&S's text.

~ Uncluttered, plain pages -- there is some green on the pages for things like headings and charts, but the pages are easy on the eyes. (In my research, I was very interested in BJU Math, but his head started spinning when I showed him the colorful, busy pages.)

It was a good change for us, and so I thought I would post our experience!

For this child (ds -- #2, 5th grade), CLE is a much better fit! I probably can't fully describe why, but I think a lot of it is that he needed the review that is built into each lesson instead of the mastery approach of SM. The repetition of seeing a variety of problems each day (in addition to the practice on the new concepts) is cementing those procedures for him. Also, CLE seems to ask for smaller jumps in mathematical reasoning, which is better for him.

Other pluses for CLE Math for him:

~ Workbook format -- this is one of the main reasons we went with CLE over R&S's text.

~ Uncluttered, plain pages -- there is some green on the pages for things like headings and charts, but the pages are easy on the eyes. (In my research, I was very interested in BJU Math, but his head started spinning when I showed him the colorful, busy pages.)

:iagree:Ditto for my 5th grade dd for all the same reasons! We did a trial run of CLE this summer, and although my dd balked at the length of the CLE lessons, she is making great strides in math. I'm curious to know what LU your 5th grader is working in after switching from SM? We switched from Righstart to CLE 400.

I'm curious to know what LU your 5th grader is working in after switching from SM? We switched from Righstart to CLE 400.

Well...I had him take the placement test (which he felt good about), but I don't remember grading it. :blush: We moved this summer, and the time was spent preparing, packing, and unpacking! I decided to try starting with 501 and discussing anything he had problems with. The only new thing I can think of (for both of us!) were digit sums. He also still doesn't have some of the measurements memorized, but we're working on those. He started 503 this week, and it's going well!

9yo ds is finishing up his 3rd week and we love it too! We are loving it for the reasons you describe. :)

My only complaint is that we didn't find it sooner.

We are loving it too!!! SM just wasn't the right fit for my dd. She's in 4th grade and started in 300 because I was very concerned that she had some gaps coming from ps into Singapore and now to CLE. We are kind of jamming through, doing 2 lessons a day because she is willing, and should be in 400 by Jan/Feb. But, if she needs to slow down I am more than willing.

The cherry: The other day I was telling her that she can break up her math by doing some, then maybe cursive, then more math, etc. And she said "Oh no, math is the most fun. I'd rather do it all now." :001_huh::D

We made the change for one of our dd and she loves it too. She did okay with MUS but did not enjoy it the way our other dd does (she is still doing MUS and enjoying it). All of the rave reviews convenienced me to try it with her and I am so glad we did.

We started it here for three of the kids to mixed reviews, but I am sure I really like it! The first grader is doing well - really needs to be walked through it though. I started one ds, 9, in level 203 because he's really struggled with math - and he is loving it! He's doing amazingly well, and told me how he likes the variety and word problems. Yay! The spiral approach is wonderful for this child.

Another ds 9 is doing level 300 (has worked through two books already) and he has been more discouraged - but this is a good thing. He had been doing Horizons and plowing through, very unchallenged. CLE math is requiring him to think, and do more than one type of problem per lesson. He has been discouraged because he gets more wrong, but this is not a bad thing - he is still getting test scores in the 90's but it means he is LEARNING if he encounters things he doesn't know and has to work through them. In all, I think this is a great program. Thanks all for your input, I learned about it on this forum.

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 6-19, schooling grades 1, 3, 3 and 6

9yo ds is finishing up his 3rd week and we love it too! We are loving it for the reasons you describe. :)

My only complaint is that we didn't find it sooner.

Ditto. Dot will start LU 105 on Monday, Wacko is 1/3 of the way through 503, and Yacko and working (slowly due to not really understanding fractions & decimals) through 601. Yacko & Wacko aren't moving as quickly (1 lesson/day usually), but Dot has been known to do four at a sitting. :lol:

Ditto. Dot will start LU 105 on Monday, Wacko is 1/3 of the way through 503, and Yacko and working (slowly due to not really understanding fractions & decimals) through 601. Yacko & Wacko aren't moving as quickly (1 lesson/day usually), but Dot has been known to do four at a sitting. :lol:

Wow!:w00t:

We do skip some, mainly the lines and lines of basic addition/subtraction problems. She's known her +/- to 10 for two years already, and too much drill drives her crazy. So we don't do it. I save the flashcards for what I term her "blonde days" (days when she's just not *remembering* things I know she knows), and we don't do the mastery or timed drills at all. She's only been six for one week, so when she's (mostly) willing to sit down for 2-4 lessons at a time, I don't see any need for the drill. I suspect once we hit the 106 LU she'll slow down a LOT.

We do skip some, mainly the lines and lines of basic addition/subtraction problems. She's known her +/- to 10 for two years already, and too much drill drives her crazy. So we don't do it. I save the flashcards for what I term her "blonde days" (days when she's just not *remembering* things I know she knows), and we don't do the mastery or timed drills at all. She's only been six for one week, so when she's (mostly) willing to sit down for 2-4 lessons at a time, I don't see any need for the drill. I suspect once we hit the 106 LU she'll slow down a LOT.

This is good to know. Thank you! I just ordered the complete CLE math 100, but ds already knows his addition facts. I may need to take this approach with him. However, he LOVES drills (on the Math-U-See website), so we'll most likely keep the timed drills FOR FUN. :D I can't wait to use this program!!

Oh, yes. The blonde days. We have them here, too. But, oops! All of us ARE blonde :lol:

Hi, I rarely post anything, but we love this program so much that I had to comment. We are in our second year of homeschooling. I chose Singapore last year for my two boys (1st and 2nd grade). We really liked it, but it just didn't come together as a complete program for us. It felt more like doing a couple of worksheets each day. We switched to CLE this year and love it. The boys never complain about doing their math. They actually love doing the speed drills (it's like a competition to them). I flip through the lesson with them, discuss/teach new concepts, and then they work independently. We will continue using CLE next year.

This is good to know. Thank you! I just ordered the complete CLE math 100, but ds already knows his addition facts. I may need to take this approach with him. However, he LOVES drills (on the Math-U-See website), so we'll most likely keep the timed drills FOR FUN. :D I can't wait to use this program!!

Oh, yes. The blonde days. We have them here, too. But, oops! All of us ARE blonde :lol:

We'll probably start the timed drills next year as an occasional game. Right now, she thinks it's fun to take the tests and quizzes. lol Then again, in the last four tests she's missed exactly ONE question, and that was because she was't paying attention to what she was doing. :p

She's about as blond as they come (as was I at that age), so the occasional blond day I can handle. lol