Menu

Can you explain History Odyssey to me?

HO isn't a rip off of SOTW, it's just a guide which happens to use it as one of the spines. HO doesn't go specifically chronologically, it's kind of like using mini unit studies by area throughout the time period specified.

For example you may start out with India from 1850-present when that units done you'll go to China/Japan and cover that same time period. So you don't read SOTW in order. I've been using HO for the past 3 years and a big factor in it was that it's all scheduled out for me, it also told me which chapters in SOTW I may want to skip because I'm not looking for religion in my curriculum.

HO isn't a rip off of SOTW, it's just a guide which happens to use it as one of the spines. HO doesn't go specifically chronologically, it's kind of like using mini unit studies by area throughout the time period specified.

For example you may start out with India from 1850-present when that units done you'll go to China/Japan and cover that same time period. So you don't read SOTW in order. I've been using HO for the past 3 years and a big factor in it was that it's all scheduled out for me, it also told me which chapters in SOTW I may want to skip because I'm not looking for religion in my curriculum.

But wait, the books are divided up by SWB's titles: The Ancients, The Middle Ages, Early Modern Times, Modern Times. HO's creator stresses studying history chronologically, so I am confused.

It LOOKS interesting but I am not getting it.

But wait, the books are divided up by SWB's titles: The Ancients, The Middle Ages, Early Modern Times, Modern Times. HO's creator stresses studying history chronologically, so I am confused.

We used this for 3 yrs. It is chronological, and is based around SOTW, and lots of good literature. THere were great assignments, lots of good writing and reading assignments. My kids and I all loved it. It is probably not a super curric. for a young boy not keen on writing, but other than that, it is very good, and worth every penny.

For level one the main difference is that CHOW is scheduled in. Additional reading is not scheduled and the activities are taken from books that you purchase separately, so I didn't see the point of buying it when I looked at it.

I am considering using level 2. There have been a lot of good reviews about how helpful it is for the logic stage. If all goes as planned, at that point DD will be in 6th grade starting with Ancients again, and I will be using my current program again with DS.

We used this for 3 yrs. It is chronological, and is based around SOTW, and lots of good literature. THere were great assignments, lots of good writing and reading assignments. My kids and I all loved it. It is probably not a super curric. for a young boy not keen on writing, but other than that, it is very good, and worth every penny.
Writing and reading assignments in level one? I didn't see any other than copying definitions.

Yes, it's based on the 4 year history cycle. So you study each of those time periods for a year, but within that time period you don't work chronologically. So you read all the SoTW and/or CHOW and KFE on Ancient Egypt, then when you are done with Ancient Egypt you move on to Ancient Rome, or whatever (I haven't done the Ancients, I did Level 2 Medieval) it schedules which pages to read and gives you map work and other activities to do. It's almost an alternative for the SoTW AG but with everything scheduled for you. I thought the way she arranged the topics within the year was great :)

There are many programs out there that use the 4 year history rotation. Like was mentioned earlier you do study things chronologically to some extent, but you don't start at the beginning of SOTW and go through it chapter by chapter, you jump around to cover all of one area at a time. You wouldn't do a little of Egypt, then Greece, then Rome and then go back to those again later on in the time period, you'd cover everything for Egypt and once those lessons were finished you'd be done with Egypt for the year, you would have covered everything on Egypt for the Ancients time period completely before moving on to another area.

I was taking a peek at the try before you buy. Is it a rip off of SOTW or something else? Lucky for me, I do own SOTW, CHOW, and KHE so I guess it would help to combine these books. If HO is using SOTW, why bother with it and not just keep SOTW only?

HO level 1 doesn't use KHE. It uses Usborne and CHOW along with SOTW. The lessons are longer in HO because it uses 3 spines instead of 1. It also covers history by location rather than by time period. I'm using SOTW only for my first grader and adding in Usborne as desired, because HO is more history than I wish to cover with my first grader.

HO level 2 uses KHE and The Story of Mankind. It not only includes reading from both books, but also includes outlining, papers, some original texts, summaries, etc. It is based on SWB's recommendations in TWTM for 5th - 8th graders. Each time period, Ancients-Modern, increases the workload and difficulty of the assignments. It's just what I needed for my older 3 children. I actually put each in their appropriate level. My 5th grader is covering Ancients, 6th Medieval/Renaissance, and 7th Early Modern.

HO level 3 is based on the high school recommendations of TWTM.

How do you guys like it? See, I hate the activities in SOTW but I like the SOTW program and well, I am kind of a faithful dog. I also have those other spines so HO would be an easy way for me to get my money's worth out of the other books. The activities in HO look much more doable.

Is it really okay to do history HO's way?

Of course! I do prefer to do history chronologically for logic stage. At the very least I would want some really good timeline activities. In the grammar stage I don't think it really matters all that much.

From what I have read, Level 2 might be too much for your 10 year old, YMMV.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

How do you guys like it?

I'm enjoying level 2 a great deal. It's stretching my kids, and even my 10 dd is doing well. And yes, it's really okay to do history HO's way. One note though, level 1 and level 2 do not line up well. In otherwords, if your dc in level 1 are studying Egypt, any dc in level 2 may be studying Babylon or China. Unless all children are in the same level, HO may complicate your life rather than simplify it. In my case, I don't teach any group subjects, so it doesn't matter if they are studying the same topic or not.

HTH!

I'm enjoying level 2 a great deal. It's stretching my kids, and even my 10 dd is doing well. And yes, it's really okay to do history HO's way. One note though, level 1 and level 2 do not line up well. In otherwords, if your dc in level 1 are studying Egypt, any dc in level 2 may be studying Babylon or China. Unless all children are in the same level, HO may complicate your life rather than simplify it. In my case, I don't teach any group subjects, so it doesn't matter if they are studying the same topic or not.

HTH!

You don't think it is possible to rearrange HO level 2 to match up with another program?

Why wouldn't it be? :confused:

My dd11 is using Ancients Level 2. We are still at the very beginning, but I did look at the whole program and I really like it. It reminds me of SOTW but is more appropriate for my middle school level child.

Of course! I do prefer to do history chronologically for logic stage. At the very least I would want some really good timeline activities. In the grammar stage I don't think it really matters all that much.

From what I have read, Level 2 might be too much for your 10 year old, YMMV.

Well, we are still on Medieval Times SOTW, soon to be on Early Modern Times. I would choose HO Level Early Modern Times anyway.

We're using History Odyssey for the first time this year. We did the first rotation using only SOTW and the AG. This year we're in fifth grade and we needed to flesh it out, so I downloaded the free trial lessons from Odyssey to see if it worked for us. It has. It suggests using several books, including SOTW. You don't have to use them all. All I use is SOTW, the Usborne Encyclopedia of World History, and a time line I created. We're also checking out some of the extra books suggested just for fun reading.

I recommend the History Odyssey. We're loving it.

We're using History Odyssey for the first time this year. We did the first rotation using only SOTW and the AG. This year we're in fifth grade and we needed to flesh it out, so I downloaded the free trial lessons from Odyssey to see if it worked for us. It has. It suggests using several books, including SOTW. You don't have to use them all. All I use is SOTW, the Usborne Encyclopedia of World History, and a time line I created. We're also checking out some of the extra books suggested just for fun reading.

I recommend the History Odyssey. We're loving it.

Are you using level one?