Menu

Formal event for 8-10 year old girls????

DD9 is in a community sports program. For their end of season event, each team is given $ for a celebration. We've enjoyed these in the past.

New town, new expectations, I guess. We've received the details for the "banquet". $20 per girl for all end of year expenses (banquet, gifts, contribution for end of year fundraiser). Yay - more money!!! :tongue_smilie:

Back to the banquet... Friday night event - 7-9pm, team girls may be accompanied by one parent; no other guests. Dessert menu to contain costs. But here's the part I don't quite get - it's a "formal" event. Instructions state that Macy's has dresses on clearance right now, and dress could be anything from really special to just a nice outfit.

Now, I have no intention of going out and buying a dress for my dd, and I am questioning the necessity of even attending this event. (We've refused to attend all events held until 9pm for this group, as in our opinion, it is just too late for this age group.)

On an aside, Sunday morning at church, all the teen girls wore their formal dresses that they wore that weekend to the Homecoming formal at the local high school. I'd never seen that before! (Then again, our homecoming dance wasn't formal.)

Maybe you could turn it into a father/daughter event. You can find party dresses and dress shoes at consignment stores. Maybe you can find something that she can wear again for the holidays.

When my dd was 8 my dh took her to a father/daughter dance. We took lots of pics and my dd felt so honored. She still talks about her special night out.

It isn't uncommon for the upper-level teenage groups or high school groups here to have a formal banquet, but I don't think it is appropriate for a community group. I wonder about their choice of using the word 'formal'. Are they really just meaning to dress up, not come in jeans and a t-shirt? I would call and talk to the coordinator. It can be fun the kids to have the chance to do something out-of-the-ordinary, instead of a pizza party after the game, but it needs to be inclusive for the team and not exclusive...especially based on the attire.

It isn't uncommon for the upper-level teenage groups or high school groups here to have a formal banquet, but I don't think it is appropriate for a community group. I wonder about their choice of using the word 'formal'. Are they really just meaning to dress up, not come in jeans and a t-shirt? I would call and talk to the coordinator. It can be fun the kids to have the chance to do something out-of-the-ordinary, instead of a pizza party after the game, but it needs to be inclusive for the team and not exclusive...especially based on the attire.

:iagree: I mean, if the girls want to dress up because it's fun, then that's great. But what if there's a girl on the team who prefers to just be comfy in a sweater and pants? Should she feel as though she can't attend the celebration for her team? I think that's odd. But then, maybe a girl who doesn't like to get dressed up wouldn't enjoy a 'formal' event anyway, and may chose to skip it. I don't know. I guess I'm saying, the girls should wear whatever they're comfortable in (that's modest; at least that would be the rule in our house). Just my opinion.

team girls may be accompanied by one parent; no other guests.

Our dd (10) still wants BOTH parents with her at this type of function. It wouldn't be fair to make her choose just one parent. Personally, I wouldn't pay $20.00 plus the cost of a new outfit for a dessert menu banquet limited to just my dd and one parent. But then we prefer family oriented get togethers.

Our dd (10) still wants BOTH parents with her at this type of function. It wouldn't be fair to make her choose just one parent. Personally, I wouldn't pay $20.00 plus the cost of a new outfit for a dessert menu banquet limited to just my dd and one parent. But then we prefer family oriented get togethers.

Our schedules is why, when I did my preliminary RSVP (upon request), I said we may not be able to attend if only one parent is able to attend (and no siblings). My dh isn't always home in the evening, and have no family nearby, as we are newer to the area. I also like family events. Makes it easier on me, being the only adult usually available on evenings and weekends for these things.

I guess I understand trying to make the end of season event special, but I don't understand why that has to equate to special clothes, done-up hair,

and the exclusion of family. I enjoy dressing for the occasion (whatever that may be), and I hope my children enjoy doing so as they grow older, too. I guess I just don't see this event as being as "important"? Am I just being a fudd-duddy in not seeing the potential fun in this event?