Menu

help me assess - DS7 seems bored

elise1mds

I'm still a newbie when it comes to homeschooling, and I'm having a moment of complete and utter insecurity. My DS-just-turned-7 loves being at home, but I'm afraid that I'm not encouraging or challenging him enough. There are times when it seems like the work is just too simple - sometimes he laughs at how easy the lessons are.

Here's what I've got problems with:

Grammar: FLL1. Tell me it's okay to do more than just FLL1 in a single year. This is the curriculum he laughs at. Obviously, he's absorbing the grammar information very quickly, but I haven't been moving any faster. Should I? I don't want to overwhelm him, either. I keep telling myself he's only 7.

Science: We're using R.E.A.L. Life Science Odyssey, and he and I both really love it for the labs and the basic info that it imparts, but we can do a lesson with all the labs in an hour or two. He is a complete science nut (he absorbs science like a towel absorbs water), and I feel like he's not being challenged here. Any good supplemental ideas? The other problem I find is that there are no good mid-level books for basic subjects like fish, arthropods, etc. There are either books for early elementary or books for middle school students and above. I'd love input. I've been doing a science journal with him once a week, but he's starting to get bored with it and I'd love suggestions for that, too, though if I had a good supplemental science suggestion, I could easily relegate the journal to once every other week or once a month.

Art: I am not an artistically inclined person. What is a good way to study art with this age with a kid who is not artistically inclined, either?

Just for reference, he loves SOTW 1, just started Spelling Workout B, is about halfway through MUS Alpha, enjoys Song School Latin once a week, and uses HWT Kindergarten that works very well for his dysgraphia.

I just don't know where else to go for this. Thanks, y'all.

Grammar[/i]: FLL1. Tell me it's okay to do more than just FLL1 in a single year.

Absolutely. Fly through it if you need to. Skim through the next 4-5 lessons and pick out whatever is new and what he might need to review and present it to him. If he needs more time, you can always slow down. If he finishes by Christmas, that's okay too.

I don't have really great recommendations for science for you or art for the non-arty (we tend to be the reverse around here), so I'll leave that to others.

But don't be afraid to tweak when necessary. Sure, he's 7 and you don't want to overwhelm him. But you also don't want to bore him to tears either. I like the idea of trying to make everything "just a little bit hard". You have to look at the individual child and his or her ability and interest in each subject to determine that. "A little bit hard" might be right on the expected grade level for his or her age. Or it might be 5 years ahead or 2 years behind (in any given subject). If he needs science designed for 5th graders and handwriting designed for K (just as examples) in order for each of those to be "a little bit hard" (not overwhelming, not boring), then that's *okay*...

You could try combining lessons in FLL, or even just skipping ahead to FLL2. Ds and I did 1 & 2 in one year by doing more than one lesson a day. That way you don't miss anything and they can find their level quicker.

For art, I try, really try to come up with stuff. Nine times out of ten, however, we use the SotW crafts as our art.

For science, we use eequalsmcq.com . He has great classes, imo, with lots of experiments and things. Natural Science (I think) is free, so you can d/l it and try it out :)

Sounds like you have a solid line up! :) I hope you guys have a great week.

For FLL - I agree with the others, combine lessons, definitely don't do just one lesson per day. If he is somewhat advanced, writing and reading really well, you could even skip to FLL 3 like we did.

For science, one thing we did is add in a lot of history-related science. We got the Classical Kids activity book by Laurie Carlson and there were a few good ones - we re-enacted Archimede's experiment using hersheys kisses and quarters, etc. There are lots of books about Science in Ancient Mesopotamia, etc. There are a few biographies of ancient scientists as well, Archimedes and the Door of Science (we liked Archimedes!). Another approach is to just go through the whole Life science book then start one of the other ones. Don't worry about making it last a whole year if he is begging for more! It's OK to do more than one lesson a week. We are going to do both earth/space and chemistry this year.

Thanks. I do like the SOTW crafts and have been doing those as he is interested (or coming up with our own), but I have this constant nagging suspicion that those aren't really "art." Lionfamily, I love that science site. I think I'll start supplementing with that. I don't plan to change curriculum since he does need routine and order, but I do want to add something else. I may also pick up the pace with the R.E.A.L. science. Much obliged to you all :)

For art, you might pick up something like Artistic Pursuits or Atelier. Atelier is really an excellent program, though it's not in everyone's budget range. I think the first level of Artistic Pursuits matches up with SOTW 1 and incorporates art history. If neither of those lights your fire, maybe Drawing with Children by Mona Brookes or Mark Kistler's Draw Squad will.

Other than that, ditto to what others said about compacting FLL.

Thanks. I do like the SOTW crafts and have been doing those as he is interested (or coming up with our own), but I have this constant nagging suspicion that those aren't really "art." Lionfamily, I love that science site. I think I'll start supplementing with that. I don't plan to change curriculum since he does need routine and order, but I do want to add something else. I may also pick up the pace with the R.E.A.L. science. Much obliged to you all :)

I supplement the art projects, with extra facts and online work. We do a little mini research on whatever project we're doing. For the illuminated letter, for instance, we looked them up in our encyclopedia set, found some lurking in the illustrations in the King Fisher History Encyclopedia, and did a few random internet searches. That way I don't feel like a total slouch in art ;) and he gets some art history.

Get the emails from the science site. One of our favorite things is doing the monthly random experiment :)

Ditto on Artistic Pursuits! Love it.

For Science: Since you have a Science core/spine you are happy with, why not supplement with a TOPS book or Nutshell kit on a topic of interest. Search TOPS Science and Science in a Nutshell kits -- pick one that appeals and buy (or check out from library) a decent kids reference on the topic (usborne have a lot of nice ones) and then do the topical reading/labs one or two days a week. . .

I'll have to look into Artistic Pursuits after such high recommendations. I never took art after about fourth grade (it was an elective after that age), and I feel completely ignorant. It's one of those subjects where I'm likely going to be learning along with him. Music - no problem; art - GLAD to have the help!

You could beef up his LA by doing Classical Writing Primer (if he liked it). Others here have paired it with FLL at his age.

Or you could just drop FLL, and go for just Classical Writing Primer. It includes many of the same introductory grammar concepts. *I* personally think FLL is boring.

First, remember that it's not necessary for a child to be challenged in all areas.

If you want to go faster in FLL, by all means, do so! Or you could switch to a higher level curriculum, or one with a totally different approach, like MCT.

For science, we add *lots* of supplemental reading. There are books out there, but they may not be at his reading level. I read a lot of books intended for middle schoolers aloud to my 7yo. He generally enjoys these books. You could also supplement with Nutshell kits or even a subscription to K12. RS4K is also a fun supplement.

As for art, I'd put him in an art class at the park.