Menu

Games like Starfall but for more adv. phonics?

Sue G in PA

My dd4 wants to play the ETC online game like her 6yo brother. I can't afford to purchase another subscription for her. Are there any FREE games online like Starfall but for more advanced phonics (like for CVC words or blends, etc.)? She is WAY beyond letter recognition and sounds and really can do the ETC like big bro. Thanks for any suggestions!

Sue,

Starfall does more than just letter recognition.

part 1 of their site is ABC (that's letter recognition)

part 2 is Learn to Read (and that covers a lot...)

http://www.starfall.com/n/level-a/learn-to-read/load.htm?f

part 3 Fun to Read

part 4 I am reading.

make sure you at least see part 2 of Starfall's site? play the word hunt games too. If you already like starfall that is.

Not sure how it lines up with ETC or anything.

-crystal

ooh.... lots of subjects. Thanks. been looking for something for my first grader to play with math stuff... taking a look at this thanks.

-crystal

Did it work for you? The page loads for me, but nothing becomes a link. I can't click anything, including "sign up". :confused:

Cool! Thanks everyone. I hadn't looked at Starfall for a while (just remembered the ABC games). Dd4 just FLEW through all the short vowel words...of course. But, she likes it and thinks it is fun...that's what I'm looking for. Something to pass her time in an educational way so she doesn't keep saying, "Mommy, do you have anymore schoolwork for me?" (this is after she has done ALL of her MFW K stuff, some ETC pages and some handwriting on the whiteboard). I can't keep up with her AND I have to spend the time with ds6 and ds8. Ugh.

Did it work for you? The page loads for me, but nothing becomes a link. I can't click anything, including "sign up". :confused:

I was able to preview one math game. Then it froze on me and couldn't preview some of the other stuff. Might try again later to see if it fits our needs.

-crystal

Sue,

Starfall does more than just letter recognition.

part 1 of their site is ABC (that's letter recognition)

part 2 is Learn to Read (and that covers a lot...)

http://www.starfall.com/n/level-a/learn-to-read/load.htm?f

part 3 Fun to Read

part 4 I am reading.

make sure you at least see part 2 of Starfall's site? play the word hunt games too. If you already like starfall that is.

Not sure how it lines up with ETC or anything.

-crystal

There is way more to Starfall than just the ABC part, so do take a look there. My DD loved Starfall and there are no ads there at all, which is great! She would click all over and she enjoyed the part called about me. Even though she couldn't read yet, all the areas seemed to be fun for her to try.

Also if it's not a stretch, Starfall now has a more.starfall section for $30/year. As soon as they released their new K program, they also opened up a new section on their website. Since I have been using Starfall for years and we've enjoyed their puzzles and other phonic products, I decided to signup and support them.

This was very much worth it for us. Some things that are new are some motion songs (encourages them to dance and move), math songs, section on just vowels, Back Back Bear section with making short sentences and reading books, color section on recognizing the color 'word', and a music player that plays a lot of the songs the kids have been listening to throughout starfall.

More.Starfall.com