Menu

IEW- What about copywork/dictation?

Annie Laurie

My 8 year old son is using WWE but I just bought IEW for my teen and after watching some of TWSS, I'm considering switching 8 yr old to it next year in 4th grade.

My question is this: Is copywork/dictation used anywhere in IEW or is it just not necessary with IEW's methods?

I'm a firm believer in copywork and dictation which is why I like WWE, since the models are already there for me. (I buy the workbooks). I'm wondering if making key word outlines is kind of the same as copywork and dictation, since a model is used. But WWE makes so much sense to me, with the child seeing good writing through copywork, then learning to visualize good writing through dictation, then transitioning to writing down their own narration as you dictate, so that they make the connection of thinking the sentence, seeing it in their mind, then writing it down.

I just can't figure out how IEW accomplishes the same thing for younger writers (4th grade or so).

I know I need to finish the TWSS and there's a lot to digest, so I probably missed something obvious but was hoping someone here could fill me in on how that part of it works until I get through all of the dvds.

We did copywork and dictation before we moved into IEW. I often recommend that parents hold off on IEW until 3rd grade and do a LOT of copywork and dictation before that. I also recommend copywork on the side to my new IEW students who are older, but have missed internalizing great sentence structure somewhere.

It's not a part of the IEW curriculum, as IEW teaches the structure and style of writing. Copywork and dictation are generally housed under handwriting, spelling, or grammar, if you are discussing the sentences.

We did copywork and dictation before we moved into IEW. I often recommend that parents hold off on IEW until 3rd grade and do a LOT of copywork and dictation before that. I also recommend copywork on the side to my new IEW students who are older, but have missed internalizing great sentence structure somewhere.

It's not a part of the IEW curriculum, as IEW teaches the structure and style of writing. Copywork and dictation are generally housed under handwriting, spelling, or grammar, if you are discussing the sentences.

Thanks, that helps. Since my ds has used 2 levels of WWE and done a lot of copywork and dictation, it sounds like he'll be okay transitioning to IEW next year in 4th, or maybe I'll wait until 5th grade.

If he has already done a lot of copywork and dictation, I think he'll do just fine with IEW in fourth grade. I've found that the biggest problem with boys often has nothing to do with the difficulty of the lessons, but with what I like to call the, "I Hate Handwriting Syndrome." There's quite a bit of writing in the IEW program... you know... because it's a writing class :rolleyes: ... but many children don't enjoy it because they don't like to put pen to paper, not because they aren't creative enough to come up with the ideas and phrasing for the actual compositions. It sounds like that won't be an issue with your ds, as he's already used to writing assignments.

I would highly recommend the IEW Student Writing Intensive Level A DVD lessons, as Andrew Pudewa is an excellent teacher, and my ds9 thinks he's quite funny.

Cat

I've found that the biggest problem with boys often has nothing to do with the difficulty of the lessons, but with what I like to call the, "I Hate Handwriting Syndrome." There's quite a bit of writing in the IEW program... you know... because it's a writing class :rolleyes: ... but many children don't enjoy it because they don't like to put pen to paper, not because they aren't creative enough to come up with the ideas and phrasing for the actual compositions.

We get around this by doing the writing assignments on the computer. It's much easier to revise and revise and revise on the computer. We do the outlining by hand, since making the outlines is also good practice for note-taking.

outlining by hand and all other writing is done on the computer by all three kids' choice.

As far as copywork, we didn't do any at all ... although it's only our 2nd year homeschooling. We tried it for about a week and were bored silly. I don't mean to offend anyone but I don't get it ... might be because it's meant for younger kids or kids who are having trouble or haven't learned grammar yet???? I'm not sure - anyone we jumped into SWI B this year with 2 10 yos and 1 12 yo. Love the program and I think Mr. P does a fantastic job bringing in grammar rules.