Menu

Which math to use after the Rod & Staff pre-K books?

Angel in FL

R&S assumes that the preschoolers using its preschool series are about 5yo, as they don't do kindergarten and consider everything before first grade to be pre-school. With a 5yo, the next step would be Beginning Arithmetic (1st grade). However, with a child who is much younger, I'd look for another kindergarten-level product, like Horizons, or even ABeka (although I prefer R&S for 1st grade and up).

Or you could do Mathematics Made Meaningful, which would be good for such a young child. It uses Cuisenaire rods and task cards, which are explained clearly enough that even I understood the task, lol. Kids love those rods.:001_smile: And the task cards teach an amazing array of math concepts.

We move into R&S 1st grade math for K here. My current 5 yr old is actually still working on the ABC workbooks alongside the 1st grade math, but she finished the counting one last year during preK. We just use the R&S math a year ahead.

I did it this way for my ODD, who is now 7, in 2nd grade, and she uses the 3rd grade math. She should be able to continue just fine. If at some point, my current child gets hung up, or it moves too fast, we can slow down w/the math to try something else if need be.

After my ds finished R&S we started him on MEP (free online program--you can print teacher plans and worksheets out). We love it. Lots of hands on stuff which is great for these ages. The K prog. is called 'Reception' or you can start in Year 1. R&S prepares them well enough to start in Yr. 1 (in my opinion, anyway).

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/default.htm

I think any K program will cover what you've already learned, but it might be a good review for her. Horizons has a placement test for math. My ds tested into Horizons 2, but I started him in K anyway. I was worried about concepts we hadn't covered like time and skip counting. I think that Horizons 1 would have been a better choice. We just sped through Horizons K. He had a good time and liked the colored workbook, but would have done better with challenging material. He did learn to tell time and skip count well.

I did buy the TM for Horizons K, but I never used it. I just bought the workbooks for Horizons 1.

HTH,