Menu

I need a Hummus recipe

Here's the one I use. Its from the Cuisinart recipe booklet that came w/my food processor.

2 strips lemon zest 2 x 1/2 inches

3/4 tsp kosher salt

2 lg cloves garlic

2 15 oz cans chickpeas, drained

1/4 c tahini

3 Tbs lemon juice

1/4 c water

2 1/4 tsp ground cumin

2-3 Tbs olive oil

1 Tbs chopped fresh parsley

Pulse to chop the zest along w/the salt. Drop the garlic down the feed tube and process about 10 seconds to chop. Add the chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, water and cumin to the bowl; pulse several times then process for about a minute. Scrape the bowl. With the machine running, add the oil down the tube in a slow stream. Process until everything is smooth and creamy - about 3 minutes. Pulse in the parsley. Let sit about 30 min for the flavors to meld before serving.

This makes almost 3 cups. ( I always add a little more olive oil than it calls for because I like it really creamy like the ones in the store, but this recipe has a far better flavor than store bought ones)

ETA : Per 1 Tbs - 30 cal, 3g carbs, 2g pro, 2g fat, 1g sat fat, 0 chol, 33mg sod, 1g fiber

Edited by LauraGB
nutritional analysis

Here's the one I use. Its from the Cuisinart recipe booklet that came w/my food processor.

It keeps better if you put the parsley on top at serving time and omit the lemon zest. For a change, and this is what gets my hummus rave reviews, use whole cumin, toast it over med heat in a DRY cast iron skillet (one of those dinky 3 inch ones you can find at goodwill works perfectly) until toasty and fragrant. Pull off the flame and OUT of the hot pan immediately or it will continue to cook and burn. These toasted babies crush easily under the back of a spoon on the cutting board. This spice is delicious in many things, like chili, but it doesn't keep. It is so easy to make, I've never tried freezing the toasted ones, but one could try.

To "keep" the hummus a long time, after prep, smooth top and give a layer of oil at the top as a seal.

If you are using a marginal power source (undersized machine) do the chickpeas, lemon juice, water, oil etc all first and only add the tahini last. If everything else is pureed, you can get away with some stiff forearm use adding the tahini, and spare your small or aged machine.

Recipes with olive oil don't freeze well-this one has none. It's very garlicky. It's from "New Recipes from the Moosewood Restaurant".

Hummus with Tahini

3 cups cooked chick peas (I use 2 cans)

1 cup chick pea water (from can)

4-5 T lemon juice

1\2 cup tahini

3 chopped or pressed cloves garlic

1 t salt

cayenne to taste

1\4 cup chopped parsley

Whiz peas with 1\2 cup of the pea water and the lemon juice. add tahini, garlic and seasonings, blend. Texture should be rough but creamy (YMMV). Ad as much of the reserved pea water as needed to achieve the desired texture. Stir in parsley. I use a food processor, but a blender or hand masher as is used for potatoes can be used.

Thank you!:001_smile:

It keeps better if you put the parsley on top at serving time and omit the lemon zest. For a change, and this is what gets my hummus rave reviews, use whole cumin, toast it over med heat in a DRY cast iron skillet (one of those dinky 3 inch ones you can find at goodwill works perfectly) until toasty and fragrant. Pull off the flame and OUT of the hot pan immediately or it will continue to cook and burn. These toasted babies crush easily under the back of a spoon on the cutting board. This spice is delicious in many things, like chili, but it doesn't keep. It is so easy to make, I've never tried freezing the toasted ones, but one could try.

To "keep" the hummus a long time, after prep, smooth top and give a layer of oil at the top as a seal.

If you are using a marginal power source (undersized machine) do the chickpeas, lemon juice, water, oil etc all first and only add the tahini last. If everything else is pureed, you can get away with some stiff forearm use adding the tahini, and spare your small or aged machine.

For a change, and this is what gets my hummus rave reviews, use whole cumin, toast it over med heat in a DRY cast iron skillet (one of those dinky 3 inch ones you can find at goodwill works perfectly) until toasty and fragrant. Pull off the flame and OUT of the hot pan immediately or it will continue to cook and burn. These toasted babies crush easily under the back of a spoon on the cutting board. This spice is delicious in many things, like chili, but it doesn't keep. It is so easy to make, I've never tried freezing the toasted ones, but one could try.

Great idea! Thanks!

Jean, if you cook your own chickpeas (dried) the cost obviously drops.

A tip if you like the texture creamy. After cooking the beans (don't overcook) put them in a bowl. Put the bowl in the sink. Run cold water over them to cool.

Then with the water running slowly, gently rub the chickpeas between flat palms. This will loosen the skins, which will flow off the top of the bowl with the water that runs off. Or the skins can be scooped off. Keep rubbing until all the skins are separated and removed.

This makes the texture more velvety when you blend the hummus.

Most of the Arab people I know consider garlic a big no-no in hummus. Light on Tahinah, plenty of fresh lemon juice. And if you like garlic in the hummus go for it.

Best wishes,

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Thanks again. Great tip on removing the skins, I will try it.

It really is the "secret" of smooth-tasting hummus, and is something I learned from cooking with a gifted old Arab woman who was visiting from Jordan when I was a young man in college. Her grand-daughters and I were friends. It is a tip I'm happy to share.

Bill

If you can do a google search for the Cooks Illustrated hummus recipe, it's really good. They are the people that test kitchen lots of different ways to do a recipe until they come up with the best way. They add the oil in slowly to make an emulsion, and among other of their little tips and tricks, that makes it creamy and not grainy. It is a great recipe-sorry I don't have time to google it for you!

Jean, if you cook your own chickpeas (dried) the cost obviously drops.

Bringing them up to a boil and then leaving them to sit over night, and re-starting in the a.m. will lower cost as well.

The skins are a bit of a hassle, but the good news is that I pressure cook them and don't get skins stuck in the safety valve. That said, I still would never leave any beans alone in a PC. The "sound" will tell you if there is trouble.

I learned my hummus and babagnoush tricks watching the very nubile son-of-the-owners in what was then a hole in the wall spot called Amir's on upper Broadway.

I have tried a few and I haven't found one that I like. Right now I buy my hummus in a big tub from SAMS and we all love it, but I'd like to make my own to save money. Thanks!

Here is my favorite recipe! I'm always disappointed when I buy hummus pre-made at the store, because this recipes tastes so much better. It's lower in fat, too. The Annie's Goddess Salad Dressing is a must... it has tahini in it and really flavors the whole thing.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Best-Ever-Hummus-106362