Menu

For those interested in my art...

Toni, these are fun! I love the purpleness of the Lily Munster illustration. This is a new art form for me, and I am not at all familiar with the "toy" your dh got you enabling you to do this, so I have a question for you- When you are drawing, is it freehand, or more like tracing? How does it work??

It's both. What I have is called the Wacom Bamboo (wack 'em--is it how it is pronounced)..I use Corel Painter Essentials 3 to do all the work.

I can basically do total free hand or a mix of both using clone. All of the images I've done were done with a mix of both. I use the "tracing paper" option, and freehand trace the main features, then remove the trace option and freehand the rest. I use the full soft clone feature to add color, depth, etc. Then I play around from there.

For example, the Lon Chaney one---I freehand traced his eyes and teeth. Everything else was freehand. Then I colored in the painting and added his lines, features, etc. Blended, cloned, and viola... done.

It's a good mix of both and I like that. It allows me to focus on the stand out features (like his eyes and teeth) and add a bit of my own "hand" to the rest.

It's both. What I have is called the Wacom Bamboo (wack 'em--is it how it is pronounced)..I use Corel Painter Essentials 3 to do all the work.

Once I saw your artwork, I started research the Wacom Bamboo for my 17yo dd. Wow! Your work is fantastic!

We are in economic crunch mode, so I'd like to *not* overbuy. Would you recommend the small or the medium? And both the mouse and the pen? Dd is a seriously good artist but very limited in what she likes. Her strengths are drawing and especially portraiture -- sets her apart from many other art students. I'd really like her to expand into other areas and I think this would do it.

Once I saw your artwork, I started research the Wacom Bamboo for my 17yo dd. Wow! Your work is fantastic!

We are in economic crunch mode, so I'd like to *not* overbuy. Would you recommend the small or the medium? And both the mouse and the pen? Dd is a seriously good artist but very limited in what she likes. Her strengths are drawing and especially portraiture -- sets her apart from many other art students. I'd really like her to expand into other areas and I think this would do it.

Claire, I've used Wacom products for years, and I just bought the Bamboo for my son as a birthday gift. We got the small for him, and it's just right. He had been drawing with my larger Wacom Intuos tablet for quite some time, and still he's had no problem adjusting to it.

The fine control one has when using a pen and tablet compared to drawing with a mouse is exceptional, and his digital artwork has improved greatly.

Check Amazon before you buy anywhere else. The Bamboo is less than $70 there.

I have this one: Wacom Bamboo Fun in black and I have the small one and it is sufficient enough. I would have loved the larger one, for me at least... but the small serves my purpose now.

And it comes with both the mouse and pen :) I don't use the mouse, just the pen, but you can use the pen and mouse in place of your regular PC mouse if you wish (BONUS!).

The only complaint I have is that the installation disk for the art programs (corel and photoshop) is a DVD disk instead of a regular CD-rom. I had to get my BIL to seperate the installation program so that I could install them, otherwise I'd be left using PaintShop Pro. The Corel Essentials is just that--only what is essential, no bells/whistles. All of what you saw I did with that program. I would love the Corel 6, but no funds for it right now.

IF you can afford to, after you get this for her and see her progressing, I would highly recommend upgrading to the newest versions of Adobe Photoshop and Corel. HIGHLY. It will expand her horizons much farther.

And don't buy from the site, try Best Buy or Circuit City or some place like that--even Walmart I think has them. I do believe DH got this one for me from Amazon and only paid $90 for it instead of the $100 they are asking for.

Hope that helps.

Oh my...

Mommy just bought me Corel Painter X for my birthday :) and I've got to say I AM IN LOVE!!!!! It's a $400 program, however Amazon has some resellers that are selling it for $60, without the box. As long as it has the registration information with it, go used. :)

:) I AM IN LOVE....

I loved the Lon Chaney London After Midnight one - at age 11 I started my silent film collection AND being a fan of Chaney - had his classic Phantom of the Opera pose taped right next to my bed (ah - first thing I saw each morning!).

"Jr" was actually Creighton Chaney - he took the Lon Chaney JR name for film work. He (aside from playing Lennie in Of Mice and Men) was not the actor his dad was.

JFS in IL - old film nutcase :D

I loved the Lon Chaney London After Midnight one - at age 11 I started my silent film collection AND being a fan of Chaney - had his classic Phantom of the Opera pose taped right next to my bed (ah - first thing I saw each morning!).

"Jr" was actually Creighton Chaney - he took the Lon Chaney JR name for film work. He (aside from playing Lennie in Of Mice and Men) was not the actor his dad was.

JFS in IL - old film nutcase :D

JFS--did you read the comments on my blog? It seems I was visited from beyond the grave--SR. corrected me (because I called Jr. "the man of 1,000 faces" and that's Sr. .... Jr. is "the master monster")....

:)