Menu

Is there anything like Classical Conversations...

Mandy in TN

If you wanna start it, there is:-) You're allowed to take the material, and use it as long as you don't charge. It'd be easy to tweak the "Christian" out of it... and if I was gonna do that, I'd add a cycle between cycle 1 and 2, I think. Well, whatever it took to have a normal four year cycle.

You could still use Veritas Cards, but start wherever you feel comfortable....

I can TOTALLY see it happening. :-) You can purchase the cds for the info... for $30 each cycle....

Carrie:-)

Well, I am not concerned about the Christian content necessarily.

However, as I am married to a Muslim and don't attend church, I don't think CC will let me start a group. Also, most of the children who I instruct at Kumon are Hindu. Several of them are homeschooling or looking to homeschool, but would like a group. The CC site says that it "admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin," but it says nothing about religion.

I'm really attracted to CC and think that they also would be, but the website wording leads me to think that the program itself was designed as exclusive Christian fellowship. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I don't know that it will meet my needs.

Mandy

I think you're misunderstanding what Carrie meant. From my understanding, you are allowed to purchase the CC materials to start your own group as long as you do not charge people to be a part of this group or make money from using the CC materials. You could use the CC material as a "spine" to form your own group. You would not receive the program support that comes from forming a sanctioned CC group, but you are still welcome to use the material.

Incidentally, CC is not exclusively Christian. Anyone is welcome - tutors and directors do sign a Christian statement of faith, but participants are not required to submit to this statement of faith.

Incidentally, CC is not exclusively Christian. Anyone is welcome - tutors and directors do sign a Christian statement of faith, but participants are not required to submit to this statement of faith.

:iagree: I went to a practicum with Leigh Bortins and she reaffirmed that while the tutors sign a statement of faith, the participants do not need to. In the Foundations level, while things are taught from a Christian perspective, any religious question is directed back to the parents, who should be in the class with the tutor.

If you wanna start it, there is:-) You're allowed to take the material, and use it as long as you don't charge. It'd be easy to tweak the "Christian" out of it... and if I was gonna do that, I'd add a cycle between cycle 1 and 2, I think. Well, whatever it took to have a normal four year cycle.

You could still use Veritas Cards, but start wherever you feel comfortable....

I can TOTALLY see it happening. :-) You can purchase the cds for the info... for $30 each cycle....

Carrie:-)

Carrie, which CD would you get? The audio cd, or the memory work resources? Both? Sorry to bombard you with questions, but you sound very knowledgeable and I've been looking for a secular version of this program.

How long does a cycle take? Is it doable without attending the training sessions?

You would do Essentials and Challenge through a sanctioned Classical Conversations Community. It is my understanding that the Essentials/Challenge curriculum is not for sale to the general public, but is restricted to people enrolled in a local CC community.

Having used Essentials, I can understand why. Without specific training in the materials, it would be difficult to teach.

Mandy, it sounds to me like your best bet would be to design something of your own, perhaps using CC as a general model / inspiration, but coming up with your own plan.

What I love about the CC materials are the history memory songs. I don't like the order of them, and I wish there were more and that they were more systematic, but I do think they're delightful as little memory helps. ... Everything else, I truly think you could pull together just as well on your own, given some time.

If I were you, I would consider doing a fairly simple supplemental co-op this year, and use what you learn and the people who come together to help you design something that would fit your local population really well for next year.

I've mentioned several times lately how head-over-heels in love with "Mapping the World with Art" by Ellen J McHenry as a co-op program for geography (learning to draw maps of the world in the context of a brief history of map-making)... It's easy to implement and would be a great way to start with a co-op.

You could use Janice Van Cleeve books or others to come up with a weekly science experiment. If you were to match it to science readings (I'm loving the science books from Galore Park) and science memory work (sentences you write, or songs from Lyrical Science or Rhythm, Rhyme, Results or many others), then you'd have a great science component as well.

You could choose a history spine and assign weekly readings and do memory work and occasional projects together.

You don't *have* to have something as pulled together as CC to start with... But programs like Classical Conversations or Master's Academy of Fine Arts might be good inspiration. I would try to go with a few elements that are easy to pull together this year, and spend the time figuring out in more detail what you can do next year...

Thank you, ladies-

I have friends who do CC, so I have looked through the foundations book. I am attracted to CC, solely because of the memory work. I suppose much of that would be something that I could put together myself out of TWTM, but I really was hoping not to since someone else has already done that leg work!

Thanks, again-

Mandy

We're doing CC this year (Foundations), but everything else that we do is secular. The best thing about being in CC for me is having that meeting every week where the kids have to *know* their memory work. It keeps us on task all week long.

They don't have the market cornered on everything, though. The art/music is nothing to write home about, and the science is fair (thankfully not too creation-y). So I think if you wanted to put together your own co-op type thing, it would be very easy to do! The audio CD's are very good for the memory work, and if you wanted to use the VP timeline cards, you could (just be aware that there are lots of Bible references in there). Any blackline maps work for geography (we use the Knowledge Quest maps at my house).

Believe me, if there were *anything* like this in my area that was secular, I'd join in a heartbeat. My kids just really like having a "class" to go to once a week and see their friends.

Mandy, have you looked at Drew Campbell's "Living Memory" book? Or listened to Laurie Detweiler's talk on the "memory period" at Veritas Academy? Both come from a Christian perspective, but both could be helpful in getting you started with a secular program. (You could still use 80-90% of Living Memory, and the philosophy behind memory period at Veritas is completely applicable as are many of the resources they use.)

Mandy, have you looked at Drew Campbell's "Living Memory" book? Or listened to Laurie Detweiler's talk on the "memory period" at Veritas Academy? Both come from a Christian perspective, but both could be helpful in getting you started with a secular program. (You could still use 80-90% of Living Memory, and the philosophy behind memory period at Veritas is completely applicable as are many of the resources they use.)

Alrighty, I knew Drew wrote LCC, but I totally missed this one.

Thanks-

Mandy

My friend and I went to a CC meeting, and really like some elements to it... REALLY disliked others, mostly the $$$!!!

We decided that we should find a foundations book and use elements from it that we like. I thought we would probably get some of the CDs too, but I fear they would be too irritating (we are musicians in this house and cannot tolerate crappy songs/music).

That would be an easy way to "secularize" it, but you would miss out on the classroom aspect of it. Unless you find a few friends to do it with. Seems like it would be relatively easy.