Menu

Isreal Gelfand dies at age 96.

I can't read it, because I'm not a NYT subscriber. What was that last quote?

“Mathematics is a way of thinking in everyday life,†Dr. Gelfand said in a 2003 interview with The New York Times. “It is important not to separate mathematics from life. You can explain fractions even to heavy drinkers. If you ask them, ‘Which is larger, 2/3 or 3/5?’ it is likely they will not know. But if you ask, ‘Which is better, two bottles of vodka for three people, or three bottles of vodka for five people?’ they will answer you immediately. They will say two for three, of course.â€

Thanks Catherine for posting the link.

Jane

“Mathematics is a way of thinking in everyday life,” Dr. Gelfand said in a 2003 interview with The New York Times. “It is important not to separate mathematics from life. You can explain fractions even to heavy drinkers. If you ask them, ‘Which is larger, 2/3 or 3/5?’ it is likely they will not know. But if you ask, ‘Which is better, two bottles of vodka for three people, or three bottles of vodka for five people?’ they will answer you immediately. They will say two for three, of course.”

Thanks Catherine for posting the link.

Jane

Thanks. That's a great quote. I'll wait and share it with dd once she finishes her Dressler proofs for the day. (Apparently, I'm cruel and merciless for having her do half the problems in this section, since the proofs are so long.)