Menu

Character education

Closeacademy

I've been googling it and various other forms and coming up empty. I am looking for something to use with my children to build up good character traits and manners.

We like things that are:

visual

lapbooking

hands-on

artsy

journal or writing prompts

I really wanted to start with kindness and move onto respect and forgiveness. What are you using for character education and is there anything out there that might fit our needs?

Thanks.:001_smile:

I don't think these will completely meet your needs, but I have seen a book by a woman somehow associated with Bill Bennett that seem basically not religious in nature (although fully religion-compatible) and outline various character traits for focused activity over several years, but I can't find the name of it right now. Ack!

I've also read these books from my library that provide booklists and activities that might be useful ....

Books That Build Character: A Guide To Teaching Your Child Moral Values Through Stories

ISBN 0671884239

Character Builders: Books And Activities For Character Education

ISBN 1591583705

Bringing Out Their Best : Values Education And Character Development Through Traditional Tales

ISBN 1563089343

Bernard Nebel cites The Family Virtues Guide: Simple Ways to Bring Out the Best in Our Children and Ourselves by Linda Kavelin Popov, Dan Popov, and John Kavelin in his elementary education book. I think it's this one that has 52 different qualities, and one is supposed to cover one a week, which seems a bit fast paced to me. I think the authors may be Baha'i, but I'm not sure that there is anything obvious about it in the book.