Menu

Horse People==lessons today and looking in COLD weather

I had my first lesson today in a few months. It was SO nice. We went to an indoor arena and had 6 horses and 9 riders (10 with the instructor). It was busy but fun. My girls rode Precious, the 17 year old Paint mare we are leasing for them until Spring.

I actually rode Precious at the end for a few minutes but spent my time on Mocha a 5 year old gruella quarterhorse mare and Libby, a 8 year old Morgan cross mare. They are all my instructor's horses. It was nice to be in the saddle again. I even did a little loping on Mocha but it is hard in an indoor.

We looked at one horse tonight but the poor thing had something wrong with his right front that I didn't even have her saddle him. He was shaking in that leg and way crossing it over the left when he walked. VERY calm personality but too tall anyway. At least he was close. He is 17 and really should be retired in the condition he was in today.

Tomorrow we are going looking at several others in the COLD COLD weather--windchills down near zero. We are going when it is so cold as my friend's daughter has a basketball game 2 hours away and so we will see horses close to there. At least I can get an idea of their size, condition, personality, etc. On the docket are:

Frosty---12 year old Halfinger/Paint 14hh pony--stocky enough for me to ride

Rusty--14 year old 14.1hh MULE--with Frosty so we will peek but I don't think I want a mule

Bart--10 year old Kentucky Mountain horse--if we get to this farm. She also has others.

Navigator 8 year old 14.3hh Tennesse Walker. They also have a few others that we can look at.

All of the above are at "horse dealers" but ones with really good reputations so we will see.

Then Jay is close to home. He is 18 years old, 15.1hh Quarter horse/arab. Has been camped, posse horse, lots of trail experience.

We have checklists for each horse but we are getting so that in 5-10 minutes we can get a feel for if we want to see more of the horse or not.

Gus is a 6 year old POA gelding that is just above pony size so can't be registered. We might catch him along the way but he is on the young side of what I want.

THANKFULLY my dh bought me insulated winter riding boots for Christmas. Add that to the helmet liner hat my friend got me and the new winter riding gloves I have, I should stay warm.

Isn't it sad when somebody tries to sell an old horse who should be lovingly retired? Pet peeve of mine!

I don't have an indoor arena or lights, so January is a tough month for me to ride. But I'm hoping to get another trail ride in soon.

Back on the old board, I posted another picture of the t-shirt type body protection. (I haven't figured out how to link.) But if you guys who also fear broken ribs would go look at it and comment on whether you think it might prevent broken ribs, I would appreciate your thoughts.

Keep us posted on the horse hunt Ottakee.

I'm going to try to put a picture of Ivan in as my Avatar. (In general, I hate Avatars, but I can see it's going to be part of this new world. As are the goofy smiley faces that I see over there on the right.)

COLD---I am betting that it is not 7 below where YOU are. Actually, that is the windchill. Air temp is just above zero right now.

My friend where I board lived in Alaska for 24 years, 15 of that in the Artic circle so NOTHING is cold until it gets to 40 below zero. She says we will walk, do chores (obviously), etc. until it gets that cold--which it won't here, so stop complaining and come help her.

Since we are close I want to at least get a peek at these horses so that I can see if they are worth checking out. It honestly will be too cold to ride the ones that don't have indoor arenas. I am learning to tell more and more about conformation, personality, training, etc. just by seeing them for 5-10 minutes. Then if they are worth a second look, I will come back. Sadly, only 2 so far has been worth a second look.

Sounds like you've got some good possibilities lined up! Oooh, I can't wait to see pictures of the horse you decide on!!

It is too bad when someone tries to sell a lame/unfit horse. :mad:

I'm dying for another lesson in an indoor arena, lol. The weather is generally mild enough here so even in the winter, I can just wait for a nice day to go riding outside. But there is a certain lack of consistency. I was hoping for regular lessons in an indoor, but a recent storm blew down our backyard fencing, and now the lesson $$ might have to go for fence repair. We'll see.

Cindyg- about that shirt protection... My concern would be how well it stays put. When I watch hockey, it seems like their equipment is shifting all over the place. LOL, the players are constantly adjusting all game long. If the shirt is fairly loose, I'd be afraid it would ride up during a fall, or on impact, and not do much protecting. If it's tight enough to stay in place, it might be a really awesome alternative! Especially in warmer weather.

My very bulky riding vest is like a vise. I have to be sure to adjust it so I can breathe. It's better than broken ribs or punctured lungs (and I will definitely use it while riding my greenie mustang), but it's really not comfortable at all. It will, however, stay put during an unscheduled dismount.

Between the vest and my humongous bubble-head helmet, no one is going to want to be seen riding with me! :p

Here is the update:

[Frosty---12 year old Halfinger/Paint 14hh pony--stocky enough for me to ride

Didn't want to be caught. Was cute but I don't want a don't want to be caught horse. It was also very icy and we didn't want him slipping as he kept running away.

Rusty--14 year old 14.1hh MULE--with Frosty so we will peek but I don't think I want a mule He was cute but a little spooky---and we don't really want a mule.

Bart--10 year old Kentucky Mountain horse--if we get to this farm. She also has others.

Didn't get to him. Maybe we should have though

Navigator 8 year old 14.3hh Tennesse Walker. They also have a few others that we can look at.

Saw him. Great ground manners, calm, etc.---granted he had just been out for a 2 hour trail ride before we got there. I rode him but he was too fast/forward, big feeling under me for me to feel comfortable.

Then we looked at Bugsy, another horse there. He though was TOO BIG. He was a 16-16.1hh Paint but looked like a draft horse cross. He was built like a big comfy couch. He would make an awesome show horse but was too big, too young (5) and headshy. I don't want one I need to work on

Then Jay is close to home. He is 18 years old, 15.1hh Quarter horse/arab. Has been camped, posse horse, lots of trail experience.

Haven't seen him yet but want to call to see him early in the week if possible.

Gus is a 6 year old POA gelding that is just above pony size so can't be registered. We might catch him along the way but he is on the young side of what I want.

Decided not to see him as I really don't want a younger horse and so it is not worth driving 2 hours away to likely find him too hyper yet for me.

I should stay warm.

Well, we mostly stayed warm. The temps were about 5 above with windchills about 10 below. NOT the best horse looking weather.

The latest idea is to ONLY look at horses between 14 and 15.1hh and at least 10 years old. That would have saved us many a mile so far. At least though the more I see the more I know what I like and don't like. Who knew it would be so hard to find a nice safe and sane trail horse gelding.