Menu

King tut exhibit in San Francisco

We are in the Bay Area and did not go to the King Tut exhibit. My kids would want to speed through the art and go to the park while I would want to read all the signs and look at all the art. Ultimately I would be frustrated and upset.

I would think that if your kids are really interested and you are okay with leaving with out seeing everything that it might be worth a try. I would have loved to have gone. Maybe when they are all out of the house....

We saw it when ds was 6. That was our "splurge" for that year. We had to rent a car and drive to PA but stayed with my sis.

I would do it again in a heartbeat. We had spent 2 years on Ancient History (SOTW) since we did it for K and 1st grade so we spent a ton of time on the Egyptians. I believe 100% that the stuff we did and studied with the Tut Exhibit as the main exciting event is why ds now 9 loves history so much. To study all those things in school and then SEE them set his interest for what I expect to be the rest of his life.

He thought it was all so cool when he studied it but to see it right in front of him was so awesome.

Just FYI in PA you couldn't take photos of anything inside the exhibit but there was stuff around the museum that we made sure to take pictures of with the kids in the picture.

Which brings me to the one downside. All the kids remember most of the trip from the pics. I'm not sure how much they really remember of it beyond what the pictures remind them of.

So was it worth it? Yes, because his love for history was partially set with that trip and that will last a lifetime.....but I wasn't prepared for how much he would not remember 3 years later. It's not that he forgot the whole thing he just doesn't remember every penny's worth LOL.

sara

We saw the exhibit in Chicago with a 6 yo and 3 yo. 6 yo LOVED it. It was her favorite thing we did (better than American Girl Place and Museum of Science and Industry which was also very cool). 3 yo like it too, but I don't think she remembers anything of it today (3 years later). It was definitely worth it. We had just started studying the Egyptians and actually started history early to get to that point before going to the exhibit.

I saw it on opening weekend.

I think your 6YO would always remember it. All that gold! Not so sure about the 4YO. Anyway, I can't imagine missing it--it's so special.

And how can you resist? It hasn't been in SJ since the 70's. When will you have a chance like this again?

Besides, the DeYoung Museum is just plain a cool place. The architecture is quite innovative, and there is an elevator to a high observation deck, from which you can see lots of cool sights including the top of the new Academy of Sciences building across the park, with its living roof and the top of the 4 story Amazon rain forest in view. Just a short walk down the concourse is the Japanese Tea Garden, one of the oldest ones around and a great place to take the kids.

The Alcatraz boat trip is really, really good. They give tours with headsets now, so you can go through at your own pace. Even your littles will probably remember the cells and stuff.

The Exploratorium is probably too old for them, as is the Academy of Sciences--they are quite pricey as well, and I think it wouldn't be worth it to go unless you have a membership elsewhere and can get in for free.

I would definitely take them for a ride on a cable car, and maybe to the Cable Car Museum--it is low key and not too expensive. If you really like science museum type things, the one for your kids' age is all the way south in San Jose, the Children's Discovery Museum. It is awesome and has an area just for younger kids as well.

Are they familiar with Beatrix Potter books, Alice in Wonderland, and Pinocchio? If so, do not miss Children's Fairyland in Oakland. Do not miss it! It was built around 1960 or so, and is so completely different from places like Great America. There are a few rides and they are very gentle, like an enclosed cage Ferris Wheel. There is a children's chapel (hard to remember when it would just be assumed that it's only right to have a Judeo-Christian chapel at a public park), a maze of 7 foot playing cards a la Wonderland, a set of knee high Beatrix Potter scenes, a whale whose mouth you can enter a la Pinocchio, and a 2 story tall slide down the gullet of a dragon. This is completely unique and totally age-appropriate for your kiddos. They will not forget it.

My son wants to be an Eyptologist - so we went to Chicago a couple of yrs. ago to see this exhibit. He listened to the whole thing, was well behaved, etc...however, it was NOT worth going. King Tut's Deathmask / Sarcophagus is NOT there.. some of his jewelry is, but its mostly other kings/queens stuff (his believed to be relatives)...King Tut's name just sells. Did he notice? Probably not, but I felt "sold"... I saw it when I was very little in Seattle and King Tut (his deathmask) and most of the chamber treasure was there - so in my mind I was doing the comparison.

It came to Dallas later and I asked him if he wanted to go, he said "no".. this coming from a kid who studies Egypt.

Wasn't impressed.. the Field Museum (Chicago) was incredible and their in-house Egyptian collection was spectacular - and well worth the trip.

Just my opinion..