Menu

Why do some sellers require "non-credit card PayPal"

In case anyone isn't aware, Paypal now has a feature that asks the purchaser whether they'll be paying the fees or passing the charge on to the seller.

I discovered this the other day, after calculating the fees to send my sister money. I was kind of annoyed to have done the math for nothing. ;)

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees-outside

For purchases it now doesn't matter. The fee is the same.

For 'personal transfers', there is no fee if source $ comes from non-cc.

So the only way to use the 'free' paypal option is also to insist on it being sent as a personal transfer.

There was recently a long heated debate here about whether buying used curriculum off the wtm boards constituted a purchase or a personal transfer. Search the archives if you want to read the viewpoints on this.

it is also for fraud reasons. for instance someone could buy something from you, receive it and then put through a chargeback on their CC which is pretty simple to do. If they put a chargeback on their CC paypal has a very tough time fighting that even with proof of shipping and if paypal has to eat the money then so do you