Menu

Blogging (and money?)

Blogger has an option to "monetize" your blog. Basically, you allow them to place advertising on your blog. I don't understand fully how it works, as I have not chosen to do it. If you have a blogger account, click on "customize", and there is a "monetize" tab.

As for creating a blog that looks good, there are many free templates available. I think the cleaner templates look a lot better than the fussy ones...too much eye-competition in my mind. I should talk, though, because my blog is pretty busy right now (I'm using a free template -- if you go to my blog, click on the link on the upper-left-hand corner of my blog to get to the free template site.)

You make money by selling advertisement space on your blog. You can use a third party or do it directly. Third parties find advertisers and place the ads on your blog. They then give you a portion (usually a very small portion) of the revenue. I used to make a couple dollars a month that way before I gave up on the third party. Someday, I want to get around to cleaning up my blog and selling ad space directly.

I personally wouldn't use previously mentioned monetize your blog option. It's run by a large corporation who is known for finding real or imagined violations of its user agreement, keeping your earned revenue, and banning you from their program forever. When they do this, they do not tell you what rule you broke or allow you to argue your side. They did this to my husband. I'm also banned by association; I've been banned for violation of their user agreement even though I've never been a user.

I would check out google advertising, and Amazon advertising. I know you can put both onto websites for income...I'm sure you can do blogs too.

I quite like google advertising, as far as advertising goes..it seems unobtrusive and it is tailored to the topics on the page.