Menu

Earobics?

We found that Earobics is a great value for our money. I was seeing a private speech/reading therapist and watched her use computer programs with my dtr for 20 minute sessions trying to prep her for FastForWord (another $2,000 program..which we are skipping on now because of price) and I realized I could do the same at home using Earobics. The speech therapists we use through the school district like this better,too. It can't hurt to try. The most important thing I found was to sit the 20-30 minutes with her 4-5 days a week and help coach them, encourage them. etc. It is what I saw the private therapist do. We are seeing nice progress with it. My dtr is severe APD (scoredin 1%), dyspraxic, has severe receptve and expressive language delays. She is considered developmentally delayed..low working memory blah blah.

When I am done with that, I am going to buy Brainware Safari through the Homescooler's co-op to help her with her memory issues.

I came to these boards for special needs help years ago. The ladies here are great. I particularly followed the advice of a CLaire (who doesn't seem to post anymore) and have found LaurieB's advice and suggestions to be right on the money for my situation.

I've used Earobics with 2 kids, and I can't say I saw improvement with either of them. But, you know, sometimes they make a leap and you can't really be sure what helped and what didn't.

My 8 yo has made huge leaps this summer. I think we hit on the right combination of therapies and curriculum, so it's hard to say which specific items had the most impact. Her OT is doing SPD therapy, Interactive Metronome, and Therapeutic Listening Program with her. At home, we finished up Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons early in the summer. This program is adapted from Distar rather than Orton Gillingham, but it worked well for her, esp for phonemic awareness and blending. We are now doing Barton Reading Level 1 and I am very happy with this program.

As I go through Barton with my 8 yo, I am going to give my 13 yo the post-test for each level, because I think she still needs some phonics work, too, but with her we need to target the areas where she is still struggling.

My 8 yo is moderately to severely dyslexic, and my 13 yo is mildly dyslexic. They are both diagnosed with auditory processing disorder.