Menu

Girl dies after receiving vaccine (HPV).....

Tammy

CP isn't usually a life-threatening disease.

Of course. Did I say differently?

I have always had concerns about the cp vaccine shifting the burden of disease to older people. We delayed this vax, but eventually got it because the chance of the kids getting it naturally seemed so low.

Edited by Perry

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, that's not true.

First, the skin really isn't really relevant to influenza and cp, because those are respiratory diseases.

Second, almost ALL people exposed to influenza and cp will have an immune response, meaning detectable antibodies in the blood. For influenza, only about half of those that have an immune response will get sick. The other half managed to fight it off, but they DO have an immune response. For cp it's higher than 50%, but I can't give a number.

but there's STILL a noticeable difference in the type of response:

http://pt.wkhealth.com/pt/re/scji/abstract.00007468-200401000-00001.htm;jsessionid=KLmWcfTvSJpqHrqZZNTgs01sSjmqHYypQ3RtQfTjTn8PKsGyt32q!-1601773455!181195629!8091!-1

The mucosal tissues of the respiratory tract are the main portal entry of influenza, and the mucosal immune system provides the first line of defence against infection. Secretory immunoglobulin A (SIgA) and IgM are the major neutralizing antibodies directed against mucosal pathogens. These antibodies work to prevent pathogen entry and can function intracellularly to inhibit replication of virus.

honest question: Should I really be worried that my 7 year old has not had the Chicken Pox?

I wouldn't be. But I *would* worry if my kids haven't had it by late adolescence, especially if it's a female planning to (eventually) become pregnant.

honest question: Should I really be worried that my 7 year old has not had the Chicken Pox?

I wouldn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chickenpox

Varicella is one of the classic diseases of childhood, with the highest prevalence in the 4–10 year old age group.

But if they haven't had it by 10, I'd be seeking it out or getting the vax before puberty.

No, it is wholly plausible that your child has built an immunity by exposure to other children even though they have never broken out.

However, if the child is healthy, might not hurt to visit a friend stuck at home with cp and keep them company a couple of hours. But that is an extremely personal decision just as deciding to expose a child through the vaccination (which also can cause them to break out...sent every single one of my nieces and nephews into full breakout).