Menu

Is anyone using the CW Primer this year? What do you think so far?

siloam

I'm using it with a first-grader. The writing requirements are a little high for a 6yo who doesn't like writing, so I take some dictation in spots.

I really like it. Each week has a short literature selection--a poem, a couple of paragraphs, a psalm, etc. 1st and 3rd days have a fable from Aesop (in the Autumn Primer), which the child illustrates, 2nd day is nature study, and 4th is art appreciation. A small lesson on some aspect of spelling or grammar is also included in most days.

It's very CM, and my 6yo likes some and doesn't like some. She currently has a weird prejudice against poetry, and anything that doesn't involve math, science, or Star Wars is not popular anyway. She does enjoy the drawing and the fables!

We're enjoying it. It's too much writing for my daughter as well and she is 7, we modify the writing. (I haven't updated our signature yet to what we're doing this year.)

Both my children loved "The Ox and the Frog," they laughed hysterically and told Dad the story when he got home.

We also only do a bit of the spelling for the opposite reason we only do a little writing.

We are using it and very much enjoying it!:001_smile:

It is just enough for my boys, who are "4th and 2nd" grade. They love the stories and the picture study. The copywork is perfect for my older. (sometimes I cut it down some for my younger) We have always done nature study and this incorporates it so well!

Overall it has been a great addition to our homeschool!!;)

I think this looks great too, I was thinking of this for 1st grade next year. It looks like if you use it you still need phonics/spelling too?

What have you found that goes well with this program for spelling and phonics?

I'm torn between this b/c I am a fan of CM and trying FLL/WWE for next year.

It's meant as a supplement or actually, I think it says a review of your phonics and spelling.

I think it looks like a lot for a first grader! Honestly, I think it looks like a lot for a 2nd grader after reading some of your replies! I'm going to have to rethink my tentative plans with it.

Do you think it would lead well into Intermediate Language Lessons? I'm now thinking of using it with my next dc for the 2nd half of 2nd grade and 1st part of 3rd, then starting ILL to follow...just skipping PLL.

Oh, do you have to start with the Autumn Primer or can you start in the Spring and use the Spring Primer and finish up with the Autumn Primer?