Menu

Broken Thermometer in carpet...what would you do?

My 7yo broke an old mercury thermometer on the floor in his room. After calling poison control and searching the internet I still don't know what to do. I know mercury vaporizes and inhaling is the danger, but does anyone know for how long? I really don't want to cut a chunk out of the carpet and I was wondering if it would eventually dissipate if we just closed off the room for awhile?

I remember breaking a thermometer as a kid and not doing a thing. I'm still alive today somehow!

Anyone have experience with this?

Well, I would cry. I played with mercury as a child but I do have health problems now so I can't say for sure that the mercury had nothing to do with it. You don;t want to vacuum and you can't just throw the remains away either. Honestly, I would cut up a large chunk of the carpet and take it to hazardous waste disposal and still be freaking out due to airborn particles. At the very least I would cover with a large piece of plastic and tape that down until I figured out what to do. I have scrap carpet leftovers that I could replace the carpet with so that wouldn't be a major concern for me. So sorry to hear this.

http://www.vtvets.org/pdf/broken_thermometer.pdf

Wow! We played with mercury as kids; whenever a thermometer would get broken, we would play with the little beads of mercury. My brother even got some in his mouth once when he bit down on a thermometer and broke it.

It never SEEMED dangerous. I remember the teacher in my 7th grade science class passing around a big bottle of mercury for us to hold -- very heavy -- and then I think she opened it and gave each of us a little bit to hold in our hands.

I know some are, but I don't think the one he had is a newer one. I wish so much I had found it before him! I got rid of several a few years ago (although I should have taken them to a hazardous waste disposal area as I've read now).

Save yourself some misery and get rid of yours and get digital!

We're thinking we need to cut a 1'x1' area out of our new carpet....ugh.