Menu

WWYD? LCC Writing Question: IEW or CW?

MariannNOVA

DD10 has done IEW in school for three years -- she understands it quite well (I don't - but I haven't taken the time to watch the DVDs :glare:)

Twins (3rd grade) have begun IEW-TWSS Key Word Outlines - (only just started - we are on Unit One.

We began LCC yesterday -- yes, I changed horses not even mid-stream - 4 weeks into the school year, I decided to make the change.

I have no difficulty financially, intellectually, or otherwise switching to CW (in fact, the thought of it rather intrigues me) -- I daresay, it appears to me (but I am biased) that CW might further simplify our writing curriculum, as I am not convinced that IEW is as uncomplicated as CW appears to be.

WWYD?

If you are using CW, do you love it? Yes or No. I do not LOVE IEW.....I LOVE Singapore Math, I LOVE our Latin programs (PL and CL II), I LOVe Phonetic ZOO Level A that the twins are using - and they love it too, I 'am in like with' SOTW Vol 2 Middle ages for the twins, and in love with History Odyssey Level Two Middle Ages for DD10...... I do NOT LOVE IEW.

Edited by MariannNOVA

I really love Classical Writing and do not see it as complicated or too much work on my part. I also love their goals for the student and where CW will take my dds as we work through all their levels. I can't imagine being as successful without it. Having said all that, I would certainly understand if you wanted to stick with IEW since your children are already familiar with it. I just wanted to share a positive side to CW. :D

P.S. I also love that grammar, writing, vocabulary, copywork and dictation are all included. Later, CW includes great books reading lists.

HTH:001_smile:

Edited by Kfamily

I'm not a LCC user, but I am a CW user.

I just finished CW Homer A. I am starting CW Beginning Poetry. I found Homer A to be hard because it was a lot of work to do. Now, understand I did this entire curriculum with my son over this past summer. So, maybe had we done it during the school year and slowed down a bit, it might have been a different opinion for me.

My older son did not have trouble implementing the content of the work. He can diagram. He knows how to use a dictionary for vocabulary analysis. He could write and rewrite sentences, paragraphs, etc. No problems with copywork and dictations. It was just a lot of work. So, I am going to do Homer B very differently. I plan to do all the grammar analysis in 5 days for one week and the writing project for the second week. It will take me 2 years to complete it instead one, but I'm OK with it. CW is a complete language arts program. I feel like I don't need anything else, except Latin.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Edited by Testimony
grammar

I really love Classical Writing and do not see it as complicated or too much work on my part. I also love their goals for the student and where CW will take my dds as we work through all their levels. I can't imagine being as successful without it. Having said all that, I would certainly understand if you wanted to stick with IEW since your children are already familiar with it. I just wanted to share a positive side to CW. :D

P.S. I also love that grammar, writing, vocabulary, copywork and dictation are all included. Later, CW includes great books reading lists.

HTH:001_smile:

Yes, you have answered my questions. THANKS SO MUCH!:001_smile:

I'm not a LCC user, but I am a CW user.

I am just finished CW Homer A. I am starting CW Beginning Poetry. I found Homer A to be hard because it was a lot of work to do. Now, understand I did this entire curriculum with my son over this past summer. So, maybe had we done it during the school year and slowed down a bit, it might have been a different opinion for me.

My older son did not have trouble implementing the content of the work. He can diagram. He knows how to use a dictionary for vocabulary analysis. He could write and rewrite sentences, paragraphs, etc. No problems with copywork and dictations. It was just a lot of work. So, I am going to do Homer B very differently. I plan to do all the grammar analysis in 5 days for one week and the writing project for the second week. It will take me 2 years to complete it instead one, but I'm OK it. CW is a complete language arts program. I feel like I don't need anything else, except Latin.

Blessings,

Karen

www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Thank you! Yes, this has helped -- thanks for sharing the anecdotal info as well. I guess I was looking for a little nudge -- I will order what I need this afternoon. Thanks again:001_smile:

We use CW, but not LCC. We're new to it this year, but I can say I love it. :) It hasn't been complicated to implement, or use. I know it gets comments suggesting it's hard to learn, or too teacher intensive. I was braced for those issues but never saw a hint of them. By our second week I was scratching my head in wonder at how smoothly it was going. ~shrug~

My ds has really blossomed with this course. Every lesson has his writing assignments getting more creative and interesting. :)

I'm using Writing Taless 2 with B & T this year, with the intention of starting CW Homer A next year (I have one Homer A wkb already.) We did part of Aesop A last year, but then finished off our year with WWE, because I was simplifying, and I felt that the boys would benefit more from WWE at that time.

Anyhoo... Both CW and WT offer students the option of doing a key word outline of the model to work from when they re-write it in their own words. I know this is something taught in IEW, so this may ease the transition for your dc if you do switch. :)

We use CW, but not LCC. We're new to it this year, but I can say I love it. :) It hasn't been complicated to implement, or use. I know it gets comments suggesting it's hard to learn, or too teacher intensive. I was braced for those issues but never saw a hint of them. By our second week I was scratching my head in wonder at how smoothly it was going. ~shrug~

I had this same thought too at the very beginning. :lol: In fact a lot of my posts were how great this is and my son is figuring out so much. Then week 10 hit me like a ton of bricks. They start off very easy. Many of the applications that we learned in Writing Tales 2 we used. By week 10, the program splits and differs tremendously. However, if my son had never learned all that grammar and diagramming from the different lessons, we would have been lost. We started to make progress by lesson 15, we started to understand it.

By lesson 20, we were just glad that we were finished.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Thank you! Yes, this has helped -- thanks for sharing the anecdotal info as well. I guess I was looking for a little nudge -- I will order what I need this afternoon. Thanks again:001_smile:

I hope you love it as much as I do!!

This year I didn't have time to study ahead like I would normally do, so I am just reading the core pages referenced in the student text to my dd as needed. The first week was hard because there were readings EVERY DAY, but that quickly slowed down. Now we are learning together, and while that might not be ideal it is working for us. In fact I think I will plan to do Homer B this way. I just have too much on my plate to read ahead anymore. :D

Heather

Just adding an "I agree" to Heather's post. I'm not sure whether they sell this for Aesop, but for Homer they sell something called "Instructor's Guide to Student Workbook Homer A." Oh, man, would I be lost without that gem. It has suggested answers to all the exercises, it tells the instructor exactly what parts of the Homer Core book (called simply "Homer" if you are as confused as I was) to read every week, and exactly what to do every day. So. Yeah. Get that.

And of course, there is one for Homer B too!

Julie