Menu

Webster's 1848 Dictionary

ETA: 1828 not 1848!!!

I know this is something that Spell to Write and Read highly recommends. I've had it on my wishlist for sometime but I am beginning to wonder how many people have and love this in real life.

Thanks. :)

Edited by Guest

I have it and love it. Shows derivations (with greek font for the greek) and includes examples of usage from literature and other elegantly written texts.

I also like the Oxford Universal Dictionary, by William Little, H. W. Fowler, and J. Coulson from the 1950s. This one's a little more detailed on the derivations.

I use the Webster for eloquent literary usage examples and the Oxford for word history/derivation.

The Webster, being a new facsimile edition, is very nice to handle. The Oxford, being old and used, is a bit yellowed and worn.

I also have several modern dictionaries - alas we need them as well....

Edited by plimsoll

Am I the only one who doesn't? :blush: I've found it just too big to practically use at this age. I want them to learn how to use the dictionary, not hate it. So we have a smaller one. I do plan to get it back off the shelf around middle school age, but for now we're using a regular, modern, *smaller* Webster's.