Menu

Course descriptions

Susann

Does anyone know where I can get course descriptions for Teaching Textbooks Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II? The descriptions on their site are more how the course is laid out and geared toward the buyer. I'm math dense and can't seem to figure it out. I've e-mailed the company but thought I'd ask here also. Thanks!!

The course descriptions are for colleges. We've had two private ones ask for descriptions with textbook used/copyright/author for each of her classes. I've been able to pull descriptions from ABeka, Apologia, etc. off of their websites but TT descriptions are more buyer descriptions. I ran off the index of each program just for this purpose before I sold it but now that I actually look at them they don't tell me what was actually covered.

List topics covered in each course, omitting ones that lead directly to another. So in an example from Arithmetic, your course may have had single digit addition, double digit addition and multiple digit addition. You would only need to list something like addition- through multiple digits or just multiple digit addition.

On a separate question- which two colleges want descriptions since I probably want to cross those colleges out.

We provided course descriptions for every college my kids applied to.

The admissions counselor at one college said that the most common reason homeschoolers aren't accepted is that homeschoolers frequently don't provide enough information about their high school program of studies.

If you don't want to provide course descriptions, it's your right. However, since colleges do want to know something about the students they are considering, it's their right to reject a student who doesn't provide enough information.

I just received the descriptions from TT. I recommended that they post them on their site for others. I feel the same way, Gwen. Although my daughter is a National Merit Semifinalist (and hopefully will be named a Finalist) I want them to see that she has taken a tough high school program. She wants to go into engineering and I want to be sure she is prepared.

We provided course descriptions for every college my kids applied to.

We did also. I think a lot depends upon the types of colleges that your child is interested in applying to. If it is a selective college or a state honors college, you will quite likely be required to submit course descriptions.

Regards,

Kareni

On a separate question- which two colleges want descriptions since I probably want to cross those colleges out.

I used to think this way.

Then my dd's dreams made me realize she could go places I had never considered. She has done so well in her studies, in her test scores, in every way. Now I see putting together the course descriptions is my part of helping her dreams come true.

Just wish I had considered this earlier. :glare: I had a skeleton of a book list but have just recently added the descriptions, etc. I'm still not happy with it but I will come to terms with it within the next month or so.