Menu

Need ideas for GOOD habits for my 4yo ds's hands!!

My 4.5yo ds just has a personalilty for developing habits with his hands (chronic nail biting and nose-picking among them - his nails would make me cringe to look at them!). Whenever I break him from one habit, he goes onto a new one.

I was thinking that I need to help him find GOOD things for his hands to do. Maybe something small that he could keep in his pocket and I could remind him to use when I see him in one of his bad habits. I don't know if a stress ball would be interesting enough...I don't know.

Any ideas?

TIA!

I was thinking a rubix cube, but he may be too young for that. My son always carried around a couple of Lego men in his pocket, and played with them like action figures. He's twelve now and still does it. :lol:

What about sign language? He could practice whenever he needs something to do with his hands. :)

My 4.5yo ds just has a personalilty for developing habits with his hands (chronic nail biting and nose-picking among them - his nails would make me cringe to look at them!). Whenever I break him from one habit, he goes onto a new one.

I was thinking that I need to help him find GOOD things for his hands to do. Maybe something small that he could keep in his pocket and I could remind him to use when I see him in one of his bad habits. I don't know if a stress ball would be interesting enough...I don't know.

Any ideas?

TIA!

What about something like this? My mom bought each of my boys something similar at Cracker Barrel a couple of years ago, except they are squares. I keep them in my purse to occupy them and they love them.

"A Tangle of Snaking Cubes!

Puritanical clergy deemed this snake puzzle a form of temptation as parishioners snuck them into church. You will experience the same temptation as you try to recoil the snake into a perfect cube. The object is to twist and turn the individually connected cubes to form one 3 x 3 cube."

Just don't let him sneak it into church. ;)

http://www.gamedaze.com/Snake-Puzzle.aspx

Maybe a small animal/insect figurine that has a good texture--like a smooth frog or a bumpy dinosaur or a ridged caterpillar. You can get a handful of different ones at Michael's or Target, I think.

What about a "worry stone?" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worry_stone. I have also seen something that is like silly putty but inside a container, with a removable lid, so there is no mess that the kids can push around, put finger prints into, shape, etc. For the life of me, I cannot remember the name or find a link to it. Maybe someone know what I am talking about.

I have children that are always hearing from me "stop biting your nails, stop picking your nose, stop...." I feel your pain. Hope you find something that helps. Blessings, Shannon T.