Menu

Living in a townhouse?

I put my house on the market over a year ago just for about 3-4 months. I could not figure out where to move and what I wanted so I took it off the market.

I just found out that I need a new boiler for my house. I think this last "fix" to my house may have pushed me over the edge.

I really want out.

I have been thinking of moving to a townhome (same amount of bedrooms, bathrooms, square footage) forever and now more than ever I think I am ready to make the leap.

Does an end unit really make a difference?

Is there anything you need to look for in (terms of hearing neighbors on either side)?

Anything else I should keep in mind?

We live in one and love it. You just have to be careful about the neighborhood and read all covenants before singing the dotted line. For example parking has been a major issue in our neighborhood. :glare:

Another thing to look at is how established your HOA is. Unfourtantley our HOA let the water bill go past due and we are now in the process of clearing that up. But, you can run into that with any managed community.

As for the end unit we have one and it's nice. But, I don't think it's necessary. The one we live in is so insulated we have never heard the people next door even when he had 20 people over for a party!

Overall, it's been wonderful not having any yard work or outside maintenance to worry about! :D

We rent a town house, and have an end unit. It is a unique layout in that the biggest bedroom has a set of stairs and a loft in it, so it is like 4 floors of living.

The biggest advantage to an end unit here is that there is a window on the end, which the middle units do not have. It gets really hot up there! Another advantage is that there is less noise, as we only have one neighbor on this side and we are not near the street.

If you live in an area with a lot of snow, try to think about where they are going to plow all of that snow and the possibility of children playing in front of your unit. My dear neighbors left playdough on my front steps and also like to sit there.

By "townhouse" do you mean duplex (2 units) or condo (more than 2 homes connected together) or something else? And do you buy it or rent it?

(Sorry, I think its my locale...)

Condo's in my neck of the woods are what you get in an apartment building.

Townhouses are attached houses.

Duplex (2 units) we call a 2 family house.

Thanks for clarifying. Where we live, condos are what you call townhouses and what you call townhouses are just apartments (no matter how nice they are or what the realtor tries to sell you :D),

We own a side-by-side duplex, and I can tell you that layout and construction = privacy. Definitely concrete block, preferably 2x6 construction. Kitchen/kitchen vs bedroom/bedroom makes a huge difference also (meaning, the bedroom from your unit would be best situated NOT next to the bedroom of your neighboring unit, however, the construction helps with this). Get bathrooms, closets, etc on that middle wall.

Neighborhood, obviously, is important. If you don't have a "yard" or your own personal courtyard, is there a park or someplace for the kids to play nearby? And the neighbors themselves. See if you can get an "after hours" tour of the unit and pay close attention to who enters and whether you can hear through the walls. The dinner hour is great. Most of the time, tours are given during the day when homes are quiet and people are gone.

By "townhouse" do you mean duplex (2 units) or condo (more than 2 homes connected together) or something else? And do you buy it or rent it?

(Sorry, I think its my locale...)

A duplex can be one story or two, but it's two units sharing a common wall (or floor, if one residence is upstairs and the other downstairs).

A townhouse is often two stories, multiple units together. (Realtors like to say "townhome," as if that makes it better somehow, lol.)

A condo is a type of ownership; a duplex can be a condo, as can a townhouse, or a multi-story apartment building.